Tuesday, August 21, 2012

The Raid: Redemption in 175 Words or Less

.
I expected to come down firmly on the side against Roger Ebert's opinion on The Raid: Redemption - he called it "brutally cynical" filled with "senseless carnage" - since I'm an oft advocate of just that kinda junk in the form of movies like Crank and Crank: High Voltage... and the eventual third Crank movie, fingers crossed. And yet, here we are - besides some admittedly fine bouts of kick-assery I was surprised to find The Raid fairly boring to wade through. Moments pop but everything feels strangely predetermined, as if watching somebody else play a video-game. I never really felt I was in the hands of a madman (or two madmen) like I do watching Chev Chelios register a ten on the Richter scale of offensiveness. The fight scenes (aka 98% of the movie) are shot well, and there are bouts of thrillingly inventive brutality that enliven it, but there 's also a whole lot about it choreographed right to death.
.

1 comment:

Glenn said...

Yes! Very much agreed. I liked it as a technical exercise, but not much out.