Wednesday, August 15, 2012

A Double Feature To Die For

.
Holy shit you guys, the Anthology Film Archives here in New York is feting the director Jeff Lieberman this weekend by showing three of his movies, and he'll be there in person for all of 'em! Jeff Whoberman I hear you saying, and I can't blame you - I've only seen one of his movies, the spectacularly underrated 1981 slasher Just Before Dawn, but that is enough. JBD is one of the best slashers - spectacularly creepy with a killer (har) ending. I previously praised it a little bit here.
.
Lieberman also directed the 1976 killer earthworms movie Squirm, which I've wanted to see for ages - I think I might have to make a double-feature out of this! The third movie they're showing is the "LSD = Murder!" trip-out Blue Sunshine, which isn't as much my cuppa but is supposed to be psychedelically delicious. Lieberman will be there for all six screenings all weekend long. Too cool!
.

6 comments:

John said...

Hey JA, I was curious and I checked and Netflix has both, are these movies low budget b-movies? I'm curious, have you ever heard of or seen a TV movie called The Fall of the House of Usher, it starrred Martin Landau and Charline Tilton from Dallas. I saw it with my older brother on TV back in the early 80's and haven't seen it and you can't get in on DVD. I doubt many have seen it.

par3182 said...

i saw 'squirm' back in the late 70s in a double feature with some cheapo film where joan collins fought off a giant papier-mâché ant

i was an overly sensitive teen and the worms really freaked me out

Prospero said...

If you're going to see "Squirm," see the MST3K version.

gregory brown said...

SQUIRM reamins one of my favorite worm movies. The scene in the blacked out roadhouse is amazingly scary. It's something I should see again before investing in a worm composting kit.

MrJeffery said...

i love these movies!

Rob K. said...

Just Before Dawn is awesome, yes - genuinely scary and with a particularly no-nonsense final girl. I caught just a bit of the last part of Squirm a million years ago but remember liking it.