Monday, July 23, 2012

I Am Link

.
--- The Tree Of Supes - Dunno if it was because of the Colorado thing or what - I know that the trailer for The Gangster Squad had to be removed because of it featured a theater shooting in it (and now there's word that the movie's getting re-shot because of it) - but the IMAX theater here in NYC didn't show a single preview before TDKR which was frustrating - I'd been holding off on watching the teaser for Man of Steel in hopes I'd see it there. No dice. So I only got around to watching it last night and... what the fuck was that? I mean I suppose they're letting us know this ain't your daddy's Superman movie or something... but I didn't think it would be my hipster cousin's either. Whatever, it's different, it caught my attention. It's not like I'll be skipping the chance to watch Henry Cavill run around in latex. I only hope that Zach Snyder keeps his sense of humor about him and doesn't get too swallowed up in the self-serious superhero juggernaut that's smothering us all. (Yes I'm looking at you, Dark Knight.)

--- And speaking of trailers, if you're the last person to watch the trailer for Paul Thomas Anderson's The Master you're in good company - if you consider me good company, which you ought to since you're here and all - since I was the second to last. After I held out on the Man of Steel trailer and was so weirded out by it I said fuck it and watched this one even though I thought I might maybe try to avoid watching it to keep my eyes as fresh as a daisy beforehand, if possible. It weren't. Possible that is. And I'm glad since I immediately watched it four times in a row oh my god it's so beautiful I can't stand it. Oh and here's Nathaniel doing his patented "Yes No Maybe So" on the trailer.

--- Dark Holes - If you missed my review of The Dark Knight Rises earlier today here that is, I've gotten a lot of great comments therein so head over and share your perspective! Over at Slash they posted a list of fifteen plot holes slash problems that stood out to them, all of which are on point. This movie is not great.

--- Suit Boss - There are several new pictures of Daniel Craig and company in Sam Mendes' James Bond movie Skyfall over at this link, involving Daniel Craig in his impeccably and by impeccably I mean impossibly snug suits crouching and running and the rest of it, oh my.

--- Pro Scares - Our pal Kirk wrote up a really fascinating piece on mainstream versus indie horror over at Kokatu - since it's at Kokatu it's about video games a lot but movies too, and since it's about horror games and movies of course he got the opinion of the esteemed taste-maker Final Girl Stacie Ponder therein. Indeed Stacie shared more of her opinion on the subject at her blog, so head there next.

--- King of Camelot - James Marsden will be playing John F. Kennedy in Lee "Precious" Daniels next movie, which is much better casting than Matthew McConaughey, who'd been attached previously.

--- Shoot Me - Collider has four new pictures of Jake Gyllenhaal and Michael Pena in End of Watch aka the Bald Cop Movie, and yup there's Jake and he's bald and he's a cop. (Here's my review of that movie from earlier this year; it's out in September.)

--- Robo-Rorschach - The terrific Jackie Earle Haley has joined the cast of the Robocop remake, which seems to be very much its own thing, seperate from the Paul Verhoeven movie. It's weird, I love Verhoeven's movie but I don't really have any issue at all with it being remade, but then I go nuts whenever I see a trailer for the new Total Recall. Weird, I tells ya.
.

2 comments:

Will H said...

Haha. I kind of love that Man of Steel teaser, but that probably has more to do with the fact that it looks like Tree of Life than anything to do with Superman.

IMAX Theaters aren't showing trailers in front of TDKR because the IMAX print of TDKR weighs 600 pounds and the platters of the projector system literally couldn't handle more weight.

The Bloody Munchkin said...

I just watched the Man of Steel Trailer based on your WTF? reaction and I have to reiterate... WTF?

Confidential to Zack Snyder: They don't all have to be Watchmen. Sometimes our superhero movies can actually have color in them.