Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Egads, Gatsby

.


F. Scott Fitzgerald's The Great Gatsby is one of my favorite books, if not my single favorite book, and so I've been perplexed about the Baz Luhrmann adaptation. I mean... 3D! Leonardo! That's two strikes already. However I am pleased to announce that I totally love the just released trailer.



It might be the deep well of affection I have for Carey Mulligan but she sailed me right through this thing. Well her, and Joel Edgerton being sinister hot, and the visuals, yes the visuals. Good lord this thing is giving my eyeballs a handy. Here are ten of my favorite shots:





I mean, can you even imagine what those shots will look like in 3D? Even just that shot of the group sitting at a dining table looks sumptuous. I'm already salivating.
.

10 comments:

maja said...

i'm in love already. goosebumpy all the way through the trailer, it looks stunning. and jack white. yes, please. god, how i've missed baz in all his glory. and all this party scenes reminded me on that beyond fabulous "romeo+juliet" party at the capulets, and mercutio in drag. "young hearts run free". perfection.

Anonymous said...

The opening shot of the black couples dancing in the car was AMAZING!

Anonymous said...

the opening shot of the couples dancing in the car was AMAZING!

see what I did there?

Anonymous said...

I really hate the music.

bcarter3 said...

Oh, disagree! This looks like a hot mess.

Jason Adams said...

I don't really disagree with you, I just think it looks like a FABULOUS hot mess, bc. Everything Baz has made has been a hot mess, really. Some works, some doesn't, but it's all been worth gawking at.

paco. said...

I didn't know you didn't have a liking for Leo. Which just makes me like you and this blog more than I already did.

Anonymous said...

sometimes extravagance can look cheap, the point is you need to know when to tone it down and tone it up, luhrmann always has the volume at maximum which is why his films lack depth, there's no denying the look of the film is fabulous but it'll be interesting to see if luhrmann can capture the reflective tone and penetrating social analysis of the book, otherwise its just another mtv clip

Anonymous said...

looks more like an eye shore than 'fabulous'. the aviator did this well - as far as art/set design goes.

Prince of Cats said...

Last I heard they were planning on re-teaming (a few years after R + J) to do a musical of the life of Alexander the Great, I think I would've much rather preferred that.

Also, odd fact: Baz Luhrman is married to a woman. But then again so is Bruce Weber so...