Friday, March 02, 2012

Behind the Shower

.

By now you've probably heard the casting news for that movie Alfred Hitchcock and the Making of Psycho (how long do you think they'll keep that title?) - Scarlett Johansson is going to play Janet Leigh and W.E.'s James D'Arcy is going to play Anthony Perkins. (We've known for awhile that Anthony Hopkins was playing Hitch and that Helen Mirren's playing his wife Alma.) 


My mind keeps going back and forth and round and round over ScarJo as Janet. I'd like her to be good because I like Scarlett - I never stopped liking Scarlett. Opinion on that matter seems to generally be the opposite of my experience, but there it is. I thought she was terrific in Vicky Christina Barcelona and I'm chomping at the bit to see Joss Whedon make use of her in The Avengers. I guess my hesitation here stems from... well, allusions be damned, Hitch liked his ladies bird-like and Scarlett Johansson is defiantly not bird-like. There was a delicacy to Leigh that I'm not sure Scarlett can conjure.


As for D'Arcy, he's got the right look for Tony but I thought he was terrible in W.E.. Granted that was a thankless role that Madonna had no interest in at all, so I suppose I'll withhold judgement. But Andrea Riseborough wiped the floor with him. There are more exciting choices out there - imagine Andrew Garfield!

8 comments:

Nikhat said...

Andrew Garfield is perfect! How can they choose anyone but him?!

RJ said...

Everyone was terrible in W.E. I don't think Madonna knows how to direct actors AT ALL. Andrea Riseborough had the advantage of LOTS of makeup and a funny voice to hide behind. Everyone else was like a corpse being strung along by a wire attached to a track on the ceiling

Jason Adams said...

LOL - That comment earned you the inaugural spot in the right-hand column where I'm going to be quoting favorite comments from now on, RJ. :)

homeslaughter said...

I think Allison Pill should put on 50 pounds so she can play Chubby Banister

Cinderelmo said...

Pretty please @new plaid pants in the girl with the dragon tattoo Daniel is naked for 5 brief seconds his butt briefly shows please repost your caps of that scene please.

RJ said...

Haha. Yay! I'm honored.

Marco G. said...

Ughhhh...you're so right Andrew would have been so good!!!!!

Anonymous said...

I remember when Gus Van Sant made the remake for Psycho. I thought Jeremy Sisto would have made a great Norman Bates at the time rather than Vince Vaughn. Jeremy is too old for the part now. Such a shame. Andrew Garfield would make a good Anthony Perkins.