Wednesday, January 04, 2012

Boys Don't Cry And Sin Never Dies

.
Photobucket

According to Deadline, Boys Don't Cry director Kimberly Pierce is in talks to direct a new version of Stephen King's book Carrie. I phrase it that way because to phrase it as "a remake of Brian DePalma's Carrie" makes me break out in hives. Hives! 

Yes, Pierce is certainly a more interesting choice than many names they could throw at this thing, but man do I not need a remake of Carrie. There just is no way, none in the world, no possibility, that anything can be made that would be better than DePalma's 1976 film. No actresses could top what Sissy Spacek did, or what Piper Laurie did for that matter. Nobody, nothing, nada zilch zip. This is entirely pointless. Kimberly, they are all going to laugh at you. 
.

6 comments:

Jee Jay said...

I basically agree with you 1,000%

BUT -- a commenter on that Deadline article suggested that if a remake had to happen, they should cast Sissy Spacek as Carrie's mom.

Now that just might get me into the theater. If only because it's been too long since my last Spacek fix.

Anonymous said...

Interesting idea of Sissy Spacek playing Carrie's mom.

Because all remakes basically have sucked the big one.

bcarter3 said...

There has already been a made-for-tv remake, with Patricia Clarkson as Margaret White. It's been running on one of the cable channels for the last month or so, and looks like it's about 10 years old.

I also sort of remember a tv sequel. Think it featured one of the London twins, but I'm too lazy to look it up right now.

And don't forget the failed musical.

Jason Adams said...

Yup, I've seen most of these things, BC3, and they only serve to underline my point - nothing will ever top the DePalma version. Nothing! Bah humbug, et cetera!

Sam79 said...

Ludicrous!

Rob K. said...

That TV remake sucked many donkey dongs. I agree w/ JA - the DePalma version of CARRIE is one of the rare times a Stephen King movie adaptation was done right - oh, so RIGHT - the first time. Leave it alone.