Tuesday, November 08, 2011

Everything You Ever Need To Know About Life...

... you can learn from:



Paul: Nostalgia is denial - denial of the painful present... the name for this denial is golden age thinking - the erroneous notion that a different time period is better than the one one's living in - it's a flaw in the romantic imagination of those people who find it difficult to cope with the present.

I finished re-reading The Great Gatsby the other night and so I've been thinking a lot about 1) Baz Luhrmann's oncoming 3D (so strange!) adaptation, and 2) Tom Hiddleston and Alison Pill and F. Scott and Zelda Fitzgerald in Woody's film. Specifically on that second point, how much in love I am with them these days.


Bless them, they are amazing. Plus I just watched the trailer for the Seann William Scott hockey movie Goon and there Pill was, looking so completely different.


A chameleon, that one. Anyway as for Baz's take on Gatsby I tried to force my brain to read the book with the actors who have been cast in the parts in my mind's eye, and there were some interesting results (as ever where my brain's concerned). It was surprisingly easy picturing Leo as Gatsby and Tobey as Nick, but I could not stop seeing Mia Farrow as Daisy no matter how hard I tried. Which is weird because Redford's film is mostly terrible and I love Carey Mulligan and I'm dying to see her take on the character. Also odd was how I kept seeing Tom Hardy as Tom, even though it's his Warrior brother Joel Edgerton that is playing Tom in Baz's movie.
.

Oh and Isla Fisher is the perfect Myrtle. Perfect!

2 comments:

Gabriel said...

So many things that I have to say about this post, but I'll narrow it down: 1. That dialogue is awesome; 2. Alison and Tom should be given awards for that frame alone and I love them and this is weird cause I've been thinking of him all day and then suddenly I come here and there he was! 3. I also love Isla Fisher.

RJ said...

Tom Hiddleston and Alison Pill: Best parts (with Corey Stoll) of Midnight in Paris. I said it!