Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Do Dump or Marry - Jet Jet Shark

.

Admittedly musicals ain't MNPP's usual bag, but way back when I reviewed West Side Story for The Film Experience so we've got some past history with this one. And so I thought what with the 50th Anniversary Edition coming out on BluRay today we'd step outside our self-appointed song-n-dance-less box and give something unexpected a little bit of love. I mean, it appeals to us on some levels after all.


So let's have a thought experiment. Plunk yourself down into West Side Story's technicolor city dream-scape of brown-painted tough guys and the brown-painted dames who love 'em. Look, there's feisty Bernardo (George Chakiris), the leader of the Sharks and loving brother to moon-eyed Maria (Natalie Wood). And there's feisty Riff, the leader of the Jets, and best friend to Tony (Richard Beymer) who only has moon-eyes for Maria. 

You're in this world, you're snapping your fingers in alleyways and you're kicking your heels on rooftops, and you've gotta choose. You'll spend a single illicit neon-lit evening with one of them, you'll send a switchblade into the belly of the second, and you'll saunter off into the day-glo orange sunset with the third. Place your picks in the comments, daddy-o.

6 comments:

Dame James said...

DO: Bernardo. I trust my girl Maria to pick 'em right.
DUMP: Tony. Dullsville.
MARRY: Riff. I've always had an unexplainable thing for him.

Heather said...

Do: Bernardo - hot Latin lover
Dump: Tony - total sap
Marry: Riff - cocky and goofy does it for me.

zyzzyva said...

DO: Bernardo (Though I suppose they all dance, he's the hottest whilst doing it...)
DUMP: Riff (racist n'er do well)
MARRY: Tony (normally would go for burly/scruffy/manly over the pure idealist/romantic, but that's not really a choice here...)

Anonymous said...

All three: Riff. He looks likes he has talent in bed, I'd fall in love and then his negative points would outshine his positive long afterward.

DuchessKitty said...

Do: Tony

Dump: Riff

Marry: Bernardo (so dreamy)

Anonymous said...

No brainer:

Do: Bernardo. Hot as hell one time, but the bitter whining would get old quick.

Dump: Tony. Boring, and has horse teeth. Seriously, my boyfriend had never seen it, I've seen it like 100 times. BF was making fun of his horse teeth and now all I can see when I watch it is Richard Beymer's gigantic teeth.

Marry: Riff. I bet the dance floor isn't the old place he does moves like that, if you catch my drift.