Friday, October 28, 2011

This Is Not A Review Of Kill List

.
Every so often I like to find something I haven't blogged about for a thousand weeks, dissecting every ounce of information for, and dive right in completely unspoiled. It's a treat! And it doesn't happen very often. Somehow I managed the feat with the new British hybrid-horror film Kill List - all I knew of it beforehand was the title, and the fact that it was the opening night movie at Lincoln Center's Halloween series called "Scary Movies" this year. I hadn't seen a poster, I hadn't seen a trailer, I hadn't read even a synopsis. I had no idea who was even in it! But since I'm going to be out of town for the rest of the weekend I figured I had to see what I could before leaving - which includes Ti West's The Innkeepers tonight! - so I went ahead and blindly snatched up a ticket to Kill List for last night.

This all might seem like a lot of meandering introduction going nowhere (course, you might just be used to meandering introductions going nowhere from me), but the thing is, I can't review this movie now. Because knowing absolutely nothing about the movie going in was so entirely the perfectly right way to see the movie I can't allow myself to be the one who spoils anything for you. If you want to seek out information, that's on you! The film's not out properly here in the US until February, so there's a lot of time to get spoiled between now and then. Posters and images will show up and they'll inevitably ruin some of the more iconic imagery the film surprised me with and that will be sad. Indeed I googled around and since the film's already out in the UK they are out there already. Don't look! I picked the ones here because they're the most generic ones I could find. Spoiler alert: There are people in the movie!

I will say, as I tweeted last night, that the film genuinely unsettled me - it isn't really a spoiler to say that there's an unraveling of reality that slowly upends the film as it slides into nightmare that really got under my skin. It's not a perfect film - I have a real issue with the way it telegraphs its final intentions just a beat too soon. But we can't talk about that now! The fact that I've still got some goosebumps even this morning talking about the movie here should be all you need to know.
.

2 comments:

HenryK said...

I agree, at least concerning the first 75 minutes, but the last part of the movie... for me it basically destroys all the in crescendo emotions built in the first part. Anyway, great movie.

Dale said...

I am all too happy to find and watch any horror movie with MyAnna Buring in it without knowing anything else about it. It actually being good would just be a bonus.