Wednesday, October 05, 2011

Quote of the Day

.
You know how I was just saying the other day that I've been having happy fantasies about Laura Dern? They keep on keeping on today after reading this bit in an interview with her at Slate:

Slate: Your collaborations with David Lynch are well-known and well-loved. A website called the Awl recently ran an article arguing that you are the only one who can persuade him to return to directing [“Laura Dern Is Our Only Hope for Bringing David Lynch Back”]. Do you think there’s a chance you can convince him?

Laura Dern: Well, if there were any truth in it, then over fried chicken last Sunday that website should know that I’m doing my job.

Slate: Can you tell me anything else about it?

Dern: That’s all I’m saying. I went into this rant [to him] about how profoundly important that is. If he were to listen to me, I’ve done the best job I can of trying to persuade.

Slate: Millions of people would thank you profusely.


Dern: He has to be in the world, just doing what he’s doing.

Slate: It must be so hard to have all that pressure. Knowing that you have this fan base that is not only so devoted, but has such high expectations of your work. I imagine that would make it hard to create.

Dern: I think what helps him so much is that he just redefines art every day for himself, as everybody knows. On his website he’s doing paintings, he’s photographing, he’s directing. He’s making movies on a digital Super 8 camera. He’s just all over the map. I think he feels very alive because of it. He has so many things he wants to do. He’s working on a documentary right now. He has this David Lynch Foundation, which is doing extraordinary work teaching meditation throughout the world to underprivileged children in school systems, jails. He’s got a big life, so it would be easy for him to not have time to make movies, but I mean, with pretty much any threat I can wield I will beg him.

Slate: You’ll drag him back?

Dern: Yeah.

Godspeed, lady!
.

No comments: