Friday, October 14, 2011

An Oscar For Joel & Ethan

.
I'm running hot and cold with regards to Oscar Isaac. First and foremost, he looks good shirtless. That goes in the "hot" column. And I liked him in Agora, and he had some fun in Sucker Punch, and he's very solid as the wannabe-reformed ex-con Standard in Drive. Unfortunately I saw him do a Q&A for the latter movie with director Nicolas Winding Refn - all of which you can watch over here - and the little he did talk Isaac came off as a humorless Serious Actor type, completely insufferable. So, cold. I am cold. Which I don't want to be, since he has been interesting to watch on-screen, and now he's gotten the lead in the next Coen Brothers movie.

"He’s being handed what could end up being a defining role, as Joel and Ethan Coen have chosen him to play the lead role in their music-oriented indie Inside Llewyn Davis.

Deadline reports on the deal, saying that the Coens have ” the usual number of stars lining up to play characters loosely based on folk singers like Dave Van Ronk and Tom Paxton.”

We don’t know much about the film other than that it focuses on the folk music scene in New York’s Greenwich Village in the 1960s."
I don't ever want to go into a Coens movie with a chip on my shoulder, so I'll try to wipe it away. Be clean, mind! Clean! I'll go look at that shirtless picture again, that'll help.
.

2 comments:

Joe Reid said...

And yet you were totally fine with Derek Cianfrance.

I really loved Oscar Isaac in "Drive" so I am very happy with this news. I will try to forget he was in "Sucker Punch."

Jasper said...

But he's so handsome!

He and Gugino were the best (the only good?) things about Sucker Punch. Plus, I'll always love him for his "I declare him to be an OUTLAAAAAW!" insanity that was all over the Robin Hood commercials.