Thursday, September 22, 2011

Quote of the Day

.
I think I'll have a whole lot to say about David Cronenberg's A Dangerous Method when the time comes (finagled a screening last evening, much to my unexpected delight), but let's wait until we see it a second time at the New York Film Festival in a couple of weeks for that. Until then, Nat wrote up a couple thoughts on the film at The Film Experience and I especially appreciate this:

"Keira Knightley handles her difficult role well and without vanity, jutting her jaw out grotesquely and contorting her body to the point that it's even more alien and angular than one might have ever found it before. It's as if she's never read any of the critiques of her beauty. (I would like to note that I don't take kindly to the common hateful screeds about the actual looks of actors that are so popular on the web but this is rather like Sarah Jessica Parker -- who I personally love to look at -- agreeing to co-star in a picture entirely about horses.)"

This is exactly what I was thinking about the most after the film, and I know I've given KK a lotta shit in the past, including derisive comments about her beauty, but you're not gonna hear a single negative peep from me over her work here. (Well maybe the accent felt a little bit forced now and then, but I'm no linguist, what do I know.) She goes above and beyond the call here and I've only got admiration for the lengths she goes to. You know that scene in the trailer for Contagion where Gwyneth makes her grimacing death face and how it became an online punchline? Imagine that multiplied by a thousand. This took real guts on her part.
.

No comments: