Tuesday, August 16, 2011

I Am Link

.
--- Got Jeff - Spiderman: Turn Off the Dork star Reeve Carney has been chosen to play Jeff Buckley in the long-long-long gestating bio-pic. If I were less groggy this morning this would deserve it's own post, but alas, my cold medicine has yet to kick in. I haven't heard him sing but physically he's a good pick, I think, and the fact that he apparently can sing, him being the star of a musical and all, strikes me as positive. Plus Carney's cute, I've featured him here before.

--- Lone Fools - Apparently the reason that The Lone Ranger movie with Johnny Depp as Tonto and Armie Hammer as the title character got canceled by Disney is the budget had swollen to 250 million dollars? How sick does that make you? It makes me pretty sick. And it's only shelved until they can bring it down to 200 million, which is just as disgusting. Apparently it's all about Native American mysticism and werewolves and it sounds HORRIBLE. Just awful. Armie deserves better! Depp, on the other hand, I have no patience for anymore. He's a wreck.

--- Crow's Feet - Bradley Cooper has dropped out of The Crow reboot, which shows he might have a little bit of self-understanding. God he was a bad choice. Of course the folks they're talking about replacing him, Mark Wahlberg or Channing Tatum, are equally awful ideas. They need somebody with some edge, for god's sake! Marky Mark's too old and Channing's off making his male stripper movie, just let him do that in peace. I'd say they could go with that other Cooper - Dominic - I would.

--- Space Weight - (Hypocrisy alert) sometimes I get really exhausted listening to fanboys. (I know. Shut up.) Somebody like Harry Knowles, I mean. It can just be a bit much. (I know. Shut up.) But I ca listen to Guillermo Del Toro do the exact same thing forever. Like, listen to him talk about what Alfonso Cuarón's doing with his next flick, the sci-fi Gravity (via Slash):

"What is incredible about what they did is, they talked to David Fincher, they talked to Jim Cameron, I connected Jim and Alfonso for that. And what Alfonso is trying, is so insane. And Jim said, well, look, you’re about five years into the future…it’s too early to try anything that crazy. And they did it!

... I think he would kill me if I reveal [what is so crazy about it], and in time it will be publicized, but I think that in the same way that he pushed the narrative in Children of Men…[they] are absolutely pushing a new boundary in filmmaking, completely mind-blowing. And they way they’re making [Gravity] will I think foverever change certain types of productions. The engineering and the ingenuity of the machines they’ve created to film that way is fantastic. I”m amazed at Alfonso in the last few movies, because he has completely transformed himself."

--- The Lady's A Vamp - Yesterday was Hammer legend Barbara Shelley's 78th birthday and Arbogast gave her some much-deserved love. She rules.

--- Fly 25 - Today's the 25th anniversary of the release of David Cronenberg's The Fly! Slash gives it some love. I wish I'd known, I could've done something myself... maybe I'll think something up for later. I haven't seen The Fly in a couple years, it's well past due I rewatched it.
.

1 comment:

Zev said...

Carney was unspeakably bad in "The Tempest". Managed to give the worst performance in the movie, which is saying something. His affect, which I think was supposed to be surfer dude, came off as mild mental retardation.