Tuesday, July 26, 2011

5 Off My Head - Get A Whiff of TIFF

.

It's been a slow news day so far today. But hark! Here is the list of films showing at the Toronto International Film Festival this year! I seriously doubt I'll be going since I've never gone before and I can't see that changing now - although Toronto is a lovely city so if they want to invite me they can do that! - but since it's a slow news day let's name five movies playing at the festival that make me wanna slap some marching boots on and storm the north come September.


We Need To Talk About Kevin (Lynne Ramsey) - Everybody's read the book by Lionel Shriver by now, right? I hope so. Go read the book if you haven't! Because this book is amazing. AMAZING. And this movie has Tilda Swinton starring in it. AMAZING TIMES TWELVE.

Dark Horse (Todd Solondz) - In the immortal words of Mark Weiner, "Uhh duh." When a new film by Todd Solondz comes out I momentarily understand what it must be like to be religious, because I feel my heart sing.

Shame (Steve McQueen) - Yup, it's the reunion between Hunger star Michael Fassbender and Hunger director McQueen. Fassy's been great every time out but his work in Hunger really is his pinnacle so far, so we're looking forward to seeing what these two can manage this go-round. Oh and this movie's supposedly just stuffed with Fassy having sex all over the place.
The Skin I Live In (Pedro Almodóvar) - I've given the reasons I'm excited for this movie several times already, and they really do just boil down to a formula. Pedro + Returned Man Muse Antonio Banderas + Horror Elements = Eyes Bugging Out Of My Head. Scientific, that.

Meloncholia (Lars Von Trier) - If you missed what Glenn said about this movie the other day, go read that. I can't even, I am going crazy, I need this now.


Okay that's the first five but there's a second five of very nearly equal importance: I also need to see Martha Marcy May Marlene and I'm super curious about Francis Ford Coppola's Twixt plus a new movie from William "The Exorcist" Friedkin called Killer Joe with Emile Hirsch, plus have you seen the trailer for Nicholas Winding Refn's Drive? That trailer is crazy good. CRAZY GOOD. Plus Alexander Payne's new movie The Descendants!

Argh! Somebody send me to Toronto!

ETA I'm seeing conflicting reports: Is David Cronenberg's A Dangerous Method playing as well!? Obviously, obviously, this is one I'd want to see as well butit's listed as yes in one place and not there in another. Oh and Sarah Polley's new movie Take This Waltz should have been mentioned by me too.
.

No comments: