Monday, June 13, 2011

Middling Monster Does Not A Super Movie Make

.
Taking my time to post some thoughts has bitten me in the ass once again - amongst other places, if you go read what Nathaniel wrote on Super 8 at The Film Experience you're gonna have approximately 98.75% of my opinion summed up for you there. Or familiarize yourself with this paragraph from Roger Ebert's review:

"During the first hour of Super 8 I was elated by how good it was. It was like seeing a lost early Spielberg classic. Then something started to slip. The key relationship of Alice and her troubled father Louis (Ron Eldard) went through an arbitrary U-turn. Joe's own father seemed to sway with the requirements of the plot. The presentation of the threat was done with obscure and unconvincing special effects. We want the human stories and the danger to mesh perfectly, and they seem to slip past one another."

It should be noted that somehow even after expressing all that Ebert gave the film 3.5 stars, which seems a bit off. I had way too many problems with the final 45 minutes of the film to feel that good about the experience once the lights came up. The beats of the adventure swallowed whole the entirely lovely character beats that'd been set up - if somebody can explain to me precisely what big lesson Kyle Chandler's character learned and at what point that drove him to reevaluate his relationship towards his son I'd be much obliged. He hardly has reason to know the sort of danger his son's been in at any point. Their conciliatory hug at the end was as forced as the reappearance of the son at the end of Spielberg's War of the Worlds, if you ask me. And what of the fractured friendship between Joe and his directing friend Charles, that was so much of the film's story before Hell breaks loose? I can't even remember if they see each other again once they split up. The adventure should spin out from the complications in these relationships, and should somehow feel intertwined. Instead the monster just eats it all up. 

And as for that monster, I did not like that monster. It's an inexplicable tangle of limbs punching out of the blackness for far too long - at some point you need to lay your cards on the table, JJ, or we come to believe your holding a blank deck. Even if Spielberg kept the shark hidden from us for most of Jaws, we still knew it was a shark. We knew it'd have a couple of fins and a big ass mouth. Even once Super 8 was finished I still didn't have a good understanding of what this alien-insect-monster was supposed to be. There were too many legs and perhaps it was made out of bark? And it had a face of some sort? I don't know, and it never did anything nifty enough to make me care to figure it out. A lousy, unmemorable cap to too long a campaign of mystery. Even though I find the 2006 Korean monster movie The Host to be entirely overrated, one thing it got right was how it flung it's monster right into the daylight right at the start. JJ had how much more money to spend? And there was nothing even one tenth as thrilling as that creature's first attack.

But the kids were all terrific - Joel Courtney is a great find, and I'm nursing my Somewhere crush on Elle Fanning even worse after this. I just wish the film had seen fit to care about them in the end as much as it had made me care about them at the beginning.
.

7 comments:

RJ said...

It's so funny, b/c I agree with everything you and others have said about the monster and the last 45 minutes, but it didn't bother me as much as it did other people b/c I was REALLY engaged by the atmosphere and the relationships between the kids. The monster was, for me, so much less interesting than everything else which is, I suppose, a problem but one that didn't trouble me much. The ending got corny, yes, but I was still with it and MAY OR MAY NOT have gotten a little choked up.

I really enjoyed it and it's stuck with me since Friday, but I really can't disagree with a lot of what you said. Funny how that works. It's one of only three or four movies that I consider among my favorites of the year.

R said...

Oh, one thing though .... if your truck is hit by a TRAIN AT FULL SPEED, you will not be alive.

Jason Adams said...

I'm honestly really jealous, RJ - I wish I hadn't gotten so hung up on so many things since I did like the kids and the set-up so much. A lot of times I have no trouble getting hooked in and being able to overlook gaping flaws no problem. Just sadly didn't happen this time.

I was worried that it was the lousiness of the monster (and I really am kind of in awe of how shitty a monster this thing turned out to be) that was tainting my opinion on the other stuff - I can tend to be a monster fanatic, as if I've never made that clear before - but since I've seen plenty of other people who could normally care less about monsters expressing the same problems with the other non-monster stuff I feel less self-conscious about that now.

I don't really mind corny so much, I would've totally been on board with corny if I'd felt they'd earned where they ended up, but everything just kinda swerved over there because that's where it needed to end up and didn't make a whole lot of sense emotionally, even.

RJ said...

Haha. Yeah, it's so funny how we can be pretty much on the same page and yet walk away with such different feelings about it.

triggerua said...

For the first half or more of the movie I was harboring a lump in my throat thinking, "OMG we have something here" a throwback that was as good as the movies it was paying homage to, but then I too felt the sudden change. Nothing happened. The sense of dread and fear vanished. All the set-up was for nothing. Why did the dogs run (and the obligatory line thrown in that you knew Joe's dog was safe) what happened with the engines...we never really got to look at what it was that the monster built....the last 20 minutes, wow, what a mess. Oh and I hate when the set designers throw in things like Pillsbury Foodsticks just to say "see it is the 70's" Thumbs down!

Anonymous said...

Yep, movie started well but stalled halfway through. Not worth the hype.

Mikhael said...

I hate it when the father said, "I got you”. If I were the kid, I’d say, “Bitch, you will not believe what I’ve been through tonight” -in Mr. Potato’s style.

Even my little sister laughed when the boy said in the cave, “You can still live”.