Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Somewhere in 160 Words or Less

.
I hate to start off by saying Somewhere is my least favorite Sofia Coppola movie, but here I am, starting off that way. Still if you consider how much I like/love her three previous features it's not exactly an insult. It's just that Johnny Marco's ennui never quite packed the understated emotional wallop that comes from watching the Lisbon sisters or Charlotte & Bob or Queen Marie sit around and stare. It just felt easier looking in at the life of a Hollywood somebody divorced from the world at large to judge him than it did with those other characters who'd found themselves cut off. I mean, trying to make a simple culinary suggestion got Marie's head cut off! At least Johnny Marco has a stripper-twin sitting around waiting for her gentleman caller. Still there are long passages that envelope you in his experience and you find yourself smiling - everything between Dorff and Fanning is lovely.
.

1 comment:

RJ said...

Not sure how I feel about this movie. I often enjoy her movies more on a smaller screen by myself than I do in a theatre because they feel so small and intimate. I will have to revisit it, because I was just kind of indifferent about it even though I was a fan of Lost in Translation and Marie Antoinette having seen them on a smaller screen.