Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Pics of the Day

HBO has released some new pictures from A Game of Thrones, their adaptation of the first book in George R. R. Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire series, so let's take a look.


That's not Joan Allen! Isn't that nuts? It's actress Michelle Fairley as Winterfell matriarch Catelyn Stark, but I'm just gonna be sitting there thinking how she's not Joan Allen the whole time now. Weird. I guess Fairley's probably best known for playing Hermione's mother in the Harry Potter films, although we don't see much of that character so that's not a lot of knowing. I don't remember who she was in The Others. Maybe the mother of the family moving in?


I don't think I'm alone in having the look of Daenerys (Emilia Clarke) that they're presenting not match up 100% with what you envision her to look like when you're reading the books. That's Iain Glen as Ser Jorah beside her.


Jack Gleeson as Joffrey, on the other hand, couldn't look more perfect. What a nasty little snot, I can already tell. Perfect. And little Isaac Hempstead-Wright looks suitably Bran like, I suppose.


I love Sean Bean, I really do, and I think he'll do a fine job with the acting part of playing Eddard Stark. But he still doesn't look like how I pictured Eddard. And the direwolves are just plain ol' wolves? I was hoping they'd at least slap some extra fur-haunches on them like in The Hound of the Baskervilles.


Three things. One: Okay direwolf pups are adorable, they don't need extra fur-haunches. Two: That's Maisie Williams as Arya on the right, and for a second I thought that was Needle she was holding (her sword) and I was all excited. But I think that's just a practice sword. Sigh. And three: Richard Madden as Robb (far left)? Hello!


Do you see what I am saying? Robb as a character was never one Martin allows us to connect to very well, he's the only Stark I can think of that doesn't have any chapters told from his point of view, am I right? But I already feel drawn to this here Robb. Mmhmmm.

And then there on the right we have pretty Nicholaj Coster-Waldau as pretty Jamie Lannister with Kit Harington as the bastard Jon Snow (he and Robb look more alike than I really had envisioned, which is fine, since god they're pretty). Remind me of the scene where Jon gives Jaime a hand-job though? Not that I'm complaining, if that's the sort of shit they're changing from the book then I say bring it on, HBO! (Alright alright I know they're just shaking hands, allow me my fun, people.)


And finally there's Mark Addy as King Robert, looking precisely as what I pictured King Robert to look like. I saw somewhere that people didn't like this casting? I don't get that, he looks right to me.

Have we seen Sansa yet? Or Viserys for that matter? And any batch of pictures without any Cersei or Tyrion is sad-making. Anyway you can click over here to get larger versions of these, if you so desire (nerd). A Game of Thrones starts airing on April 17th.
.

4 comments:

Joe Reid said...

Ah, so THIS is must be what it's like for normal people when I start talking about Buffy or Battlestar or whatever. Y'all were right to look at me like I was crazy.

Jason Adams said...

Oh Joe, you never talk to normal people.

Jwise said...

That's NOT Joan Allen?!?!?!

In shock.

Scott said...

Viserys will be Harry Lloyd who was great in one of the best Doctor Who episodes (the Family of Blood two-parter). A lot of the casting looks good, but if you want people who stay true to the books, Robb (handsome as he is) looks far too old. Of course that's a general problem with adapting these books since several major characters are in their early teens or younger.