Friday, January 14, 2011

5 Off My Head - Smoking Globes

.
I think I figured out why I'm posting like a crazy person today, finally. I forgot I took some allergy medicine this morning! I was wondering why my head's been spinning in Exorcist circles all day long, and now I know. Forgotten medication! Oh and I also smoked some crack. A whole lot of crack.

Anyway since I'm feeling the need to speed-type today and just barf up every goddamn thought that comes into my twitching brain, I noticed that the Golden Globes are on this weekend - I really don't pay a whole lot of attention to awards anymore; call it The Brokeback Effect, but my heart's been broken too many times and I had to give up that game - and I hadn't even looked at who was nominated. So I scanned through the list of nominees and good god there are some unbelievably awful choices in there. But what the hell, I figured I'd offer up the five wins that would make me the happiest. I'm not saying they have any chance at all; I really have no clue who's the front-runner in anything. They would just make this single solitary small person happy. Me! Me! Me!


Best Performance by an Actress In A Television Series -
Comedy Or Musical:
Toni Collette, United States of Tara

I let the ball get away from me on posting on Tara this past year but I fell deeper than ever in love with this show in its second season. I'd give an award to every single person in the cast but feel just fine siphoning all that adoration into a gold statue for the spectacular Miss Toni.


Best Original Score - Motion Picture:
Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross, The Social Network

Remember that time that JA was 20 years old and he dyed his hair black and stood in the middle of a crowded dance floor really feeling that Nine Inch Nails song? Yeah this one's for him.


Best Performance by an Actor in a Motion Picture Drama:
Ryan Gosling, Blue Valentine

Alright so I'm on a tear about this movie today- here's my review from this morning - but looking at Ryan's competition he wins, for me. James Franco was great in 127 Hours but he was better in Howl (although Howl's a worse movie than 127 Hours). I'd be fine with Jesse Eisenberg winning - he finally managed to overcome my lingering dislike and with a terrifically unlikable character at that. But Ryan, oh Ryan, be still my swooning with sadness heart.


Best Animated Feature Film -
How to Train Your Dragon

Obviously it will never happen, but it should happen. Even with as much as I liked Toy Story 3, I'd give the slightest edge to Dragon, which charmed me completely. And there are images within as memorable and awe-inspiring as anything Pixar's dreamed up.


Best Performance Actor Motion Picture Comedy Or Musical:
Jake Gyllenhaal, Love And Other Drugs

Because Jake wasn't the problem with the dire Love and Other Drugs. And also to say hey man, thanks for your ass. But honestly his competition is just awful so maybe he has a chance? I mean if they award that little dance Johnny Depp gave at the end of Alice in Wonderland then the gig's up, you can close down the festivities, Hollywood Foreign Press. Kaput!

What are y'all hoping to see on Sunday?
.

9 comments:

SVG said...

I'd like to see Elisabeth Moss win. I can't recall any of the Mad Men actors besides John Hamm winning any awards.

Sandisan said...

I second the Tara love. I liked the first season but the second season was just soooo dang good. Toni Collette is a goddess.

Adam said...

Sorry, but Edie Falco ftw.

Ryan said...

EDIE FALCO
RYAN GOSLING
JAKE GYLLENHAAL
THOMAS JANE
JACKI WEAVER (!!!)

Anonymous said...

I thought Tara's second season was mediocre. Toni Collete's still good, but after the brilliance of the first season, the plots of the 2nd season were even more implausible and boring.
I think the gimmick of the show has finally shown its head. On the other hand, Nurse Jackie went deeper into the characters (even Jackie's husband!)

DEZMOND said...

I couldn't agree more with you on Toni Collette and HOW TO TRAIN YOUR DRAGON. Those are the best things from otherwise poor 2010.

Anonymous said...

TEAM WEAVER.

Art said...

Black Swan
Kids are All Right
I am Love
Dragon/Toy Story 3
Bening
Portman
Adams
Gosling
Bale

Mad Men
Modern Family/Glee
Moss
Collette
Vegara
Colfer/Stonestreet

Mirko said...

Bale as supporting actor

Weaver as supporting actress

MODERN FAMILY as best comic tv series