Wednesday, December 15, 2010

A New July

.

It's been way way way way too long since Me and You and Everyone We kKnow came out way back in 2005, so this news of a new movie by Miranda July has got me and my fellow fans of hers in a delighted tizzy. It's called The Future, it will play at Sundance, that's a shot from it above, and here's the story:

"Sophie (Miranda July) and Jason (Hamish Linklater) are a thirty something couple who have hit a bit of a brick wall in their lives. They live by themselves in a one-bedroom apartment and spend a vast amount of time online. They make a decision to adopt a terminally ill cat named Paw Paw. Like a newborn baby, he’ll need around-the-clock care. Despite their good intentions, Sophie and Jason are terrified of the responsibility and the looming loss of freedom, so with just one month left, before they are due to collect the cat, they decide to quit their jobs to pursue their dreams. Sophie wants to make a dance, and Jason wants to throw his life open to the profound excitement of chance — on a whim he volunteers to be a door-todoor canvasser. As the month slips by, Sophie becomes increasingly immobilised, unable to make even the slightest progress with her dance, and in a moment of desperation, she begins an affair with someone she barely knows, Marshall (David Warshofsky) – a tough, square, fifty-year old man she met briefly at the animal shelter. Using elements of magical realism – a talking cat who narrates his own sad tale, a living tee-shirt, and strangely familiar Moon – the film bravely creates its own particular universe. With pathos and humour, it invites us to share the bitter sweetness of this moment in the lives of this young couple."

When anyone described Me and You and Everyone We Know to me before I saw it I never thought I'd love it as much as I did, so this talk here of talking cats named Paw Paw and such doesn't hit my "run away and don't look back lest ye be turned into a pillar of quirky salt" button like it would've once upon a time. Because goddamn, that ought to make me want to run away. But nope, I'm there.
.

7 comments:

Joe Reid said...

You have such a complicated relationship with douchebag artists, I swear.

Jason Adams said...

I'm a living Avril Lavigne album.

Bmo said...

July's a douchebag? But, but... She seems so sweet.

Ilka said...

Did you read her book of short stories? It was good!

Jason Adams said...

I did, and I agree! I wish I could remember any of them upon which to comment, but my brain doesn't work that way, with all that remembering stuff, unfortunately. Sigh.

Anonymous said...

Oh Joe, you think you deserve that pain but you don't.

Eva Moos said...

Ohhh I'm so excited!!!!!!!!!
I was thinking that she definitely should make another movie when I watched her first but it seemed like she didn't actually have the money for it?
Awesome news!