Wednesday, November 03, 2010

I Am Link

.
--- Devil Man - My like for Leo Dicaprio comes and goes but I like the idea of him playing the first serial killer H. H. Holmes in the adaptation of The Devil in the White City, set during the Chicago World's Fair in 1893. Anyway I can't wait to see that fair visualized. Do you think he'll get Scorsese involved? Marty's got a fetish for this sort of stuff. And no I don't mean just Leo. Anyway I really dug that book. I'm sure most of the historical detail will be consumed by the thriller aspects but it was a fascinating read.

Although now that I'm thinking about it Tom Hardy would be an even better choice than Leo for Holmes. I mean, look at this:


Although it could just be the mustache talking.

--- Chop Chop - I think it's still unclear if Charlize Theron and Johnny Depp are the ones set to star in that Snow White and the Huntsman movie but they're the most recent names attached, leaving Tom Hardy and Angelina Jolie in the dust. I'm so sick of Johnny Depp I don't know how I feel about him nabbing the role but Charlize is 100% win. Anyway Tarsem is definitely directing. I'm surprised, but pleased, that he's getting so much done these days.

--- Ragin' Abe - Speaking of Tom Hardy though, he's been offered the lead in Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter. No, he wouldn't be playing Lincoln, he'd be playing some dude named Henry Sturgess. I haven't read this book so I don't know. Anyway I imagine Hardy's being offered a bunch of roles right now, so the offering doesn't necessarily equal the accepting.

--- Red State Blue State - I am no fan of Kevin Smith's movies but perhaps his long-gestating and now-really-happening horror film Red State will be the kick in the ass he's needed to mix things up and make something worth watching. The teaser poster's shown up online and it's an eye-catcher. Although the whole scratched-up and fake-aged thing might feel a little played out at this point.

--- All In - Brad Pitt is reuniting with his Assassination of Jesse James director Andrew Dominik which is smart, since he gave his best performance in that movie. He'll be playing a mobster in a comic crime film set during a poker game in Vegas.

--- Hatchet Job - Kim Morgan's piece on Joan Crawford's performance in Strait-Jacket is must-read. As is her list of favorite horror films that showed up at Final Girl the other day. Good taste, that one.

--- Id Unleashed - John Carpenter's decided he likes working I guess because he's already got another project lined up - an adaptation of Darkchylde, about a teen girl who can't help manifesting herself into her worst nightmares. I guess WETA's test-footage for the creatures she becomes was off the hook, as they say.

--- Miss Daisy - I think Rebecca Hall is a great choice for Daisy Buchanan in Baz Luhrman's Great Gatsby movie. And Gatsby's my favorite book of all time so my opinion matters! But then I think Rebecca Hall is a great choice for any and everything, so perhaps not.
.

6 comments:

SVG said...

I read somewhere yesterday that Tom Cruise had really wanted to do the HH Holmes film. Maybe it's wrong but I'd be so much more excited about that movie. I love Tom Cruise in villian mode!

The story itself seems very Fincher-esque but I hope it's someone surprising directing (I just don't want another Scorcese and Dicaprio period film).

Jason Adams said...

I totally agree about Marty and him, SVG. Especially after the belly-flop (IMO) of Shutter Island. Find somebody else, Leo!

I can't watch Tom Cruise ever again in anything though. EVER.

SVG said...

I don't know- I think he's great in Collateral and Magnolia. There's kind of an air of dead-eyed psycho about him. He has to play a serial killer at some point!

Jason Adams said...

Oh yeah I totally agree he's been great in several past movies, including both of those. I can even watch old movies he's in and not be entirely swept up in what a freak he's revealed himself to be. But I'm done with him in anything new.

SVG said...

Well that's fair enough. He seems to have gone back into action Tom mode now so I don't think you're missing out. That said, I haven't seen Knight and Day so perhaps you've missed a cinematic masterpiece.

I am talking too much about Tom Cruise!

greggiboi said...

Leaving Tom Cruise out of it, I like the idea that somebody will turn a fascinating book into a movie. I hope more people will read the book, too. It's actually 2 stories, and the info about the Fair's impact on Chicago, and the development of the site, is as surprising as the serial killer story.