Thursday, October 28, 2010

You Are Receiving This Broadcast As A Dream

.
Last night I decided to finally get around to watching John Carpenter's 1987 film Prince of Darkness. I'd been hearing its name mentioned in a few different places over the past couple of weeks for completely random reasons and knew that meant the forces were gathering, the fates were all falling into place, it was time.

The movie itself has a lot of creepy Fulci-esque bits and some gorgeous imagery - stay tuned for a hint of that below - but I spent a lot of time groaning at foolery.

"Caca."
Some of the dialogue is abysmal and awkward - there's a lot of ridiculous exposition and some of the actors have no idea how to deliver it. But then the last ten minutes totally rock and send you out on a high note so it's definitely gonna be the type of movie that I think back on and go "Ooh, that part was awesome!" and "Ooh, that other part was rad!" and forget the poorly-acted terribly-written interludes between awesomenesses. So this is my note to myself: don't forget the wealth of lame! Also all the peeing in people's mouths.


What's up with that? Anyway that's neither here nor here. What's here is the fact that the film's nominally lead - it's more of an ensemble piece if by ensemble I mean it doesn't make time to create individuals much, and I do - actress, the one that has to rub herself up on Simon & Simon's Mustache From Hell, died on Monday.


Her name was Lisa Blount, and my boyfriend spent the first ten minutes or so of the movie going nuts trying to figure out what he knew her from, and then realized it was from her role as Debra Winger's best friend in An Officer and a Gentleman. So point being, Lisa Blount's ghost has obviously been haunting me for days now, convincing me to watch her in this movie. And now I have and now I'm probably impregnated with devil seed. Great. That again. (In all seriousness though, my thoughts go out to her family. This is just a weird coincidence, is all.)

But back to the movie. Like I said, lotsa eye-rolling, but some very lovely, eerie imagery too.


Oh and I suppose I should offer up these pictures too, although I found Simon & Simon's mustache way too distracting to really appreciate the beefcake he was offering, to be honest.


Yes, your mustache really is that bad. Be ashamed.
.

4 comments:

Ms Scrappy said...

Oddly, on Monday my sister and I rewatched Prince of Darkness not really having seen it since it's first theatrical run. We actually liked it way better than the first time. To us the film felt more like an italian horror film than a north american one. Then we wondered what happened to Lisa Blount, the last time we'd remembered seeing her was as Adrian Pasdar's horny stepmom on the way ahead of it's time tv series Profit. Sadly, now we know.

shaun said...

I love that you insist on calling him Simon & Simon...he was a really cutie back then sans mustache, so I don't know why he let them talk him into that!

Jason Adams said...

Ha someone just got here to MNPP by searching for the phrase "Simon and Simon slash-fic"! I love you, anonymous person.

Kenneth M. Walsh said...

His mustache is the only redeeming quality of the film -- super sexy!