Friday, October 08, 2010

A Hell Of A Program

.
The Film Society at Lincoln Center here in New York is showing a bunch of scary movies at the end of this month, from October 27th through Halloween night, and STYD has got the run-down. They're showing some very very cool stuff.

Stake Land, which won the Midnight Madness award in Toronto last month, is getting its New York premiere. It's a Road Warrior-esque story of humans battling plague-riddled feral vampire monsters in an apocalyptic wasteland, and yeah that sounds like something we've all seen a million times, but this one's supposed to be terrific, they say.


Two flicks by Christopher Smith, the director of Severance, are premiering as well - Triangle, which has been on video for awhile and is a whole heckuva lot of fun even though it stars the blecch Melissa George, and Black Death, Smith's brand new movie set during the Plague that stars Sean Bean and the lovely amazing Carice Van Houten.

There's a pregnant-lady-in-danger flick called The Clinic, and there's a French flick called Village of Shadows that sounds really interesting and involves Nazi ghosts or something. And they're showing a bunch of old flicks like Carrie (I still have never seen Carrie on a big screen) and Dead of Night and Messiah of Evil (I just got a copy of both of these a couple of weeks ago and have been meaning to watch them, but now maybe I'll wait to see it on a big screen) and a movie I've never heard of called The Mutations starring Donald Pleasance that's apparently an homage to Tod Browning's Freaks and involves "real carnival attractions." Consider me sold!


And while all of that sounds spectacular, what's coolest is their closing night film. It's called The Loved Ones, it's a new Australian horror film, and I've been chomping at the bit to see it for months now. It also won the Midnight Madness award, at last year's TIFF. Coincidentally Glenn just posted the new teaser trailer for it at Stale Popcorn, which I am swiping now.
.

.
I wanna see this movie! Unfortunately for me this is the closing night film and I'm out of town when it's showing. Argh! It escapes my grip! God knows when it'll get a proper American release, if ever. Dammit. But if you're in New York you should check some of these out.
.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

REALLY want to see "The Loved Ones". Thanks for the reminder! I almost forgot about their amazing Halloween programming!

Glenn Dunks said...

The Loved Ones... oh man, Jason, you're gonna fuckin' DIE.

Robin McLeavy... how to put it... one of the greatest ever horror movie performances. Yes, it can rank that highly.

Dale said...

Argh, I wanted to see The Clinic, but I think it got screwed somehow getting a proper theatre release and I'll have to wait for the DVD. Oh well, at least I'll hear if it's any good or just some piece of crap I'll watch because it has Tabrett Bethell from fantasy cheesefest Legend Of The Seeker.

Is The Loved Ones out in Aust then? I want to see that.

Anonymous said...

I saw The Loved Ones last week and yes, believe the hype. Hilarious, tense, horrifying and amazing.

Kristine said...

I think "Triangle" may be one of my favorite movies ever. I just absolutely loved it.