Monday, October 11, 2010

Frankestein's Abs! Latin Lovers!

AICN has been posting a behind-the-scenes picture every day for awhile now, I've swiped them before, and this one from over the weekend is another one too good to pass up, especially since my boyfriend always creeps me out when he confesses his longtime crush on Boris Karloff.


Who knew Frankenstein had abs like Brad Pitt under those big bulky clothes? I'll never look at him smoking a cigar the same way again.


Next up, I watched the Mae West classic She Done Him Wrong last evening for a couple of reasons. I'd never seen Mae in anything and this is the one that turned her into a Looney Tunes character ("Come up and see me some time, come up and see me some time, come up and see me sometime," the sexy robot stutters until it explodes), and it had a 29 year old Cary Grant in it and that's something not to be resisted. Grant cut a fine figure in his black uniform when he was on-screen but it was another actor that caught my eye - Mae's too; she practically ate his face with her hysterically lascivious stares - so I looked him up. His name's Gilbert Roland and this is he:


Now you see why he caught my eye. He was from Mexico and he had a long career, often cast as The Latin Lover - you can read about him at Wiki. But those aren't the pictures that interest me - the one that interests me is this picture:


The guy on the right is Ramon Navarro, famed openly homosexual actor of the silent era, also of Mexican heritage and also often playing The Latin Lover archetype in his movies. IMDb has the image labeled as being Navarro and Gilbert Rowland, with a w, but that must be a mistake - there actually is a famous Gilbert Rowland, he's a Scottish harpsichord player (so, uh, semi-famous, as far as Scottish harpsichord players go), but he's way too young to be that guy in that picture with Navarro.

Anyway those two look good sitting beside each other right? Roland was married twice so I don't know that it's more than fantasy - a fine fine fantasy - to imagine anything to he and Navarro sitting there looking so pretty beside each other. Or the way that Roland smirks devilishly as Cary Grant frisks him in She Done Him Wrong.


But I don't mind thinking these thoughts,
even if they're baseless. And neither should you!
.

3 comments:

g said...

I'm sure it's due to being dazzled and smitten by those fine fotos--and the rigors of photoshopping Jared P--you neglect to mention GR's character is named Serge--pointedly pronounced Sir-GAY. Pull yourself together.

Jason Adams said...

You're right of course, that was an oversight on my part. A thousand lashings!

Because it made me wonder, this did drive me to look up information on when the word "gay" came to mean "homosexual," and thanks to this link I learned some stuff today. So thanks for that.

g said...

I suppose we might as well take this one step farther and recall Cary Grant in a frilly robe shouting "I've gone gay!" in BRINGING UP BABY.

It's all fine and good. Thanks for giving me some good things to look forward too every day (nearly).