Friday, September 24, 2010

And Spike's Here Too!

.

Have you guys seen Spike Jonze's short film I'm Here yet? It's been online for a long time now but somehow I'd put it off and put if off and then they screened it at IFC last night with Jonze there to do a Q&A with his friend and fellow director David O. Russell, and there was no way in hell I was missing that obviously, so I uh didn't miss it and went and saw the short for the first time there and oh my god this sentence is so long.

I'm Here stars Andrew Garfield - sort of, we never see his face - as a robot, in a world where robots are secondary citizens, that falls in love with a lady robot. You can watch it here. It's a riff on Shel Silverstein's sad story The Giving Tree and it's as hipstery and melancholy and sweet and wonderful as Where the Wild Things Are, so if you're one of those people whose heart is black and cold and you didn't like WtWTA then you probably shouldn't bother. But I loved WtWTA - best movie of 2009, yo - and I loved I'm Here.

I never take notes at Q&A's but this one was of the least obnoxious ones I've ever been to - David O. Russell had no interest in any of the usual rambling bullshit and his questions were about as straightforward as you can imagine. They discussed where he found the actors he used - Spike's friends with Mark Romanek, who was filming Never Let Me Go with Andrew Garfield when Spike was looking for somebody to play his lead robot, and Romanek introduced the two and they played frisbee and Andy was great at frisbee so he got the part, the end - and the music - the entire thing was mapped around two specific songs Spike wanted to use - and so forth. No fuss, no muss, I felt like I actually learned pretty much everything there was to learn about the short.

The one thing I will most take away most from the experience though? Spike Jonze is a tiny little smiling ball of adorable, y'all. ADORABLE. He sat in his folding director's chair with his feet perched up in front of him like a wee little squirrel and was so happy the whole time. I need to go and watch Three Kings again right away.
.

No comments: