Wednesday, August 04, 2010

All Of Them Demons

.

In 1986 Mario Bava's son Lamberto birthed a sequel to his still-fun-to-watch 1985 film Demons called, bizarrely enough, Demons 2. Both the original and its sequel were produced by Dario Argento. So close your eyes and just imagine the spangly Euro-trash-tastic glories on display! It is magically delicious.


But it's not a film one can review. It defies any attempt. I think it was the well-known critic Troville90 at Netflix that said it best:

"Demons 2 is basically a carbon copy of its predecessor. Sure, there are some minor differences: this one takes place in a stylish apartment building rather than a movie theater, and the soundtrack is comprised of less 80s hair metal and more atmospheric new wave and post-punk. Also, this one seems to have more narrative cohesion and fewer mysterious plot lines left unresolved by the films conclusion (the first movie raised far more questions than it answered; Demons 2 simply doesnt raise any questions."

The crazy thing is that I completely and fully understand and endorse that as a check in the pro column with regards to this movie. You don't really want it to make sense. The entire plot can be summed up by the film's title: Demons 2. Yup, that's this movie in a nutshell!

Alan Cumming wants to eat your soul.

So I ain't reviewing this wonderful ridiculousness. What I am doing is zooming in on some sort of insane gap in the space-time continuum that watching this movie caused me to stumble upon, and that is this:


What the fuck happened to David Edwin Knight?

DEK is mostly kind of the star, I suppose, as much as the movie ever concentrates long enough to focus on anything specific, of Demons 2. Arguments could also be made that aerobic-tights or potted plants are also the star of Demons 2, but let's stick to my original thesis. DEK's in the film a lot, his battle to get to his pregnant wife trapped in their apartment comprises the main through-line again, I guess, and he and his wife are the ones that escape in the end. The win.


And needless to say if you looked at the above pictures, David Edwin Knight is attractive. He's adorable! If I could find any info on him anywhere I am guessing it's mention him having been a model at some point. But you can't find info anywhere on him! He does not exist. His IMDb page is as bare bones as bare bones gets. He was in one other movie, something called Who Shot Patakango? (smartly shortened in some places to Who Shot Pat?) in 1989 as "Bic Bickham" (gotta love that name) opposite a just starting out Sandra Bullock. They have a sex scene in the film, which of course you can find online, because it's always easy to find sexy shots of any actress online.


Not so much the fellas. And those two credits are it for our Mr. David Edwin Knight, and after that he seems to have fallen off the face of the Earth. Nowhere. Nothing. Now I'm not arguing that he lit the screen on fire with his outstanding talent in Demons 2. But he's pretty! And pretty people get to work a lot in movies while they're pretty! Even terrible terrible ones. It's just a rule. A law, really. It's written in the Hollywood Constitution. So what happened to him? A producer just went right out and bought him, didn't they? He spent the 90s sunning beside a pool in a vast array of International Male costumes, I know it.

So since his slight contributions to cinema seem to have been forgotten, I'm taking it upon myself to fill in the gap. Here are a bunch of shots on David in the film.

.

12 comments:

breedaniels said...

As usual, great taste in films AND men.I remember watching "Demons 2", while my parents went out for the evening, in fourth or maybe 5th grade in our apartment building and I kept wondering how I would escape and where I would hide if my neighbors turned into demons. I was putting myself in that boy's position. The first one is great with a real creepy vibe, you have to love the whole helicopter scene, a great "what the &^*$$&" moment!

Taffy said...

I haven't seen this film but I am madly in love with the very first screen grab you posted right at the top. I love it, love it love it!

shaun said...

Yum, he has a sexy Clark Kent vibe going on in that one pic (the one with the glasses), and those are some quite sexy lips. It really is hard to comprehend how/why a hot piece like that didn't work more. Your theory is the only one that makes sense.

downbythewater said...

obsessed with both! i think i rented them both one night when i was approximately 8 years old. truly undervalued.

Ms Scrappy said...

I agree with Taffy, that screen grab at the top is awesome. The more I look at it, the creepier it gets.

homeslaughter said...

Wait. You nailed it. I am positive that he was an International Male model. I am the lucky owner of a few issues and bet I can find him.

maxx40 said...

maybe this is him?

http://davidedwinknight.com/

Anonymous said...

I don't know how old this blog is, but I happen to watch Demons 2 and wondering what happened to the cast. I search about David Knight for international model in google. Here is the link
http://www.angels-models.com/portfolio.aspx?indx=0&sexid=1&subid=5884&mainsubid=5884&modelid=614722&a=&from=

It is HE and he has gray hair.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the movie stills. I've been madly in love with Knight's face since I watched Demons 2 many years ago. But my favourite discovery from your stills is that his textbook isn't even in English.:)

Sammasseur said...

David is gay. He was attached at one time to Barbra Streisand's gay son Jason Gould.

DEVILMAN said...

This post is more than 10 years old but damn, i am glad i came back at it since those last two comments are pretty important info.

Soo he is gay and is still modeling and looking fantastic?? Thse are pretty nice news and thats rare on obscure subjects like this.

Critifur said...

He is part of the International Male Documentary, All Man: The International Male Story. He is gorgeous and gay.