Monday, July 19, 2010

Putting Together The Dream Pieces

.

I don't even know where to begin with a review of Christopher Nolan's Inception. I feel like just pointing you to this review at Slash, which sums up my attitude right about at the 100% mark. Especially this:

"Inception is not, as far as I can tell, a mind-shattering puzzler that transcends the film medium, so intricately woven in narrative and structure that several viewings are a requirement if you ever have a hope of understanding it.

... What the film is, however, is one of the finest action-thriller blockbusters since The Matrix, and a spellbinding, fully engrossing twist on the heist film genre. In a year this drab, it’s a revelation. But it isn’t flawless.

Narratively speaking, Inception isn’t a terribly complex tale. If at times it feels like it, that’s because it’s so heavy on exposition and rules that you’ll barely be able to keep track of all the information being thrown at you."

I'd dial the hyperbole of that middle paragraph way back though - it's at times "spellbinding" and at times "engrossing." Once the van starts its prolonged topple off the bridge and we start watching the decks being stacked and disassembled (and re-disassembled, and so on) I would absolutely agree. But the road to get there is paved with rough patches, including some inexcusably thin characterizations (I figured Ellen Page would have a cypher to play going in but man alive, that's some cypher).

And I really did expect more of a mind-bender. I've seen Memento a few times and it still fucks with my brain every time I watch it, so much so that I become completely disoriented. There was never a point in Inception where I didn't understand exactly what was happening. Which, I mean we complain all the time about action movies not making any sense, with something like a Transformers, where the rules are all just up in the air and logic is smooshed into incoherent babble, and I don't want that.

But in a movie about dreams and perceptions of reality being shuffled about, a little confusion here or there would've been welcomed. Roger Some reviewers have said that you'd need to see Inception twice to understand it, and I just don't see that need. I might need to see it again to watch some of the beautiful effects like the city folding in on itself or Joseph Gordon-Levitt's trousers, so snug in the back. But not because I really ever felt challenged intellectually by the film. And don't get me started on emotionally.

But back to Joe's pants. You take the review at Slash and you need to add this bit from Joe Reid's review, which is a crucial, crucial part of my modest enjoyment of the film:

"Tom Hardy's is the one character we get to know exactly the right amount given his role in the movie; we get just enough to know he's a competent forger, a bit cocky, and in possession of a scorching sexual chemistry with Joseph Gordon-Levitt."

Seriously. Those two! My mind drifted off more than once, I tell ya what.

Honestly I like the film slightly more here two days after watching it then I did right when it was finished. There are passages that are stuck in my brain - JGL's gravity-free hotel romp really is a truly spectacular set-piece - in a good way, while other slough off into forgetfulness. Just like a real dream!

.

7 comments:

shaun said...

"And don't get me started on emotionally." -- yep, that's my main issue with this and Nolan's other films.

At any rate, couldn't agree more re JGL's trousers and his chemistry with TH (those lips!) -- worth the price of admission alone!

Jason Adams said...

My problem isn't even that Nolan's cold or clinical - if cold and clinical bothered me I could hardly rant and rave like a lunatic every time a Michael Haneke film came out - it's just that there really isn't anything beyond a surface concern paid to emotionally flushing out much of how these characters behave. And I get that that can be written off from the point of view of the story that's being told, but that reads to me as a weakness in how he's choosing to tell the story. If your story leaves half your characters in emotional limbo then you need to rework your story. He doesn't have any problems creating a thousand rules for how this dream-world works - how about one that allows for some humanity, some breathing room?

Jason Adams said...

I should add that's not aimed at you shaun, obviously we were agreeing there; I've just seen the film written off as just "cold and clinical" around and I don't think that's necessarily the problem.

Scott said...

You are so right about JGL's clothes. They fit impeccably - in ways that are such fun to see.

I agree with you about it not being necessarily complex. But I think there are things in it (say, Marion C sitting on the side of that other building) that people could perceive different ways, and depending on that choice, the possibilities of a second viewing might vary depending on the viewer.

Derreck said...

It was such a nice change to be excited to see a movie. I haven't been excited to see a movie since Precious/Nine. I loved the anti-gravity sequence and the multiple dream layers.

I guess i was way too focused on understanding everything to really notice JGL and his pants. I still only understand like 80% of it. I still don't know why Marion C's character just loved to screw with people for 3/4 of the film, but it was fun to watch her do it.

I did take the occasional moment to swoon at Tom Hardy though..he's so dreamy. I would love to change my vote on the Do, Dump, Marry post, but i hate to eat my words.

I was happy to see Ken Watanabe though! I always liked him as an actor since The Last Samurai. I didn't even know he was going to be in it. yay for me.

theduckthief said...

My main beef with this film was the lack of emotional depth as has been mentioned on here. While I was too busy being engrossed by the logics of the movie to create an emotional connection to the characters, there weren't even that many opportunities. I didn't really care that much about DiCaprio being separated from his children or being charged with his wife's murder. In fact I wanted Cotillard to spend more time messing up their operations.

Jason Adams said...

Totally, theduckthief! I loved it whenever Marion stormed in in her fancy purple evening gown or ridiculous sexy fatigues and went all Bond Girl villainess. Or when she started throwing hr hair around and screeching! It needed more of that, for sure.