Monday, July 12, 2010

The Moment I Fell For... John Hawkes

.

.
I love this scene so, so much. Whenever I think of it I think of what Roger Ebert said about it:

"When it's over, you think, that was a perfect scene, and no other scene can ever be like it."

Truth be told this is where I fell for both Hawkes and Miranda July - where have you gone, Miranda? - but I'm feeling like giving John Hawkes a little extra attention today because I just saw his name over at Slash - he's been cast in Steven Soderbergh's next film, Contagion - where they reminded me how wonderful he is in Winter's Bone, and then I realized I hadn't said anything about Winter's Bone, and I realized all I really felt the need to point about the film, which I liked quite a bit, is that he's really great in it and that I like seeing him in anything and everything, and how I wish I got the chance more often.


And then I realized I was opening myself up to being nagged at to get my ass around to watching Deadwood and then I was exhausted by the prospect of all the TV shows I need to catch up on, and then I died, the end. Anyway, John Hawkes for the win.
.

7 comments:

Jon said...

Funny you bring this scene up 'cause yesterday I saw that "Me, You, And Everyone We Know" is available for streaming on Netflix. I want to rewatch the film again, specifically for that scene. So brilliant.

breedaniels said...

I saw "Winter's Bone", great film with authentic performances by not only Jennifer Lawrence and John Hawkes, but also a memorable performance by Dale Dickey who should DEFINITELY be remembered at Best Supporting Actress time.

Jason Adams said...

Jon - Netflix's streaming is RUINING me! I can't stop skimming thru it. I spend as much time looking at everything that I could be watching as I do watching anything. Too much! Too much! ;-)

bree - Word on both JL and DD in the film. Everybody's great, and I really hope that it does linger in people's minds right up thru awards season, cuz I'd be happy to see any of those folks get nominated. Hopefully they'll time the DVD release right.

Anonymous said...

Oooh you MUST watch 'Deadwood' - he is fantastic in it!

~Maria

Glenn Dunks said...

Miranda July's next film lost funding, but she has a new one coming soonish I think.

Love this scene. Ranked it #66 moment of the decade.

theduckthief said...

He is one of my favourite characters in Deadwood! When you have the time you simply must watch all three seasons.

John T said...

I actually fell in love with his as Elwood P. Dowd in Harvey. He's from a town about an hour from my home town, and he returned one year to play the lead in Harvey, and my brother and I stood outside afterwards and got his autograph-charming guy (still have the autographed playbill).