Friday, July 16, 2010

Holiday (1938) in 200 Words or Less

.

I've come to realize that with Cary Grant it's the more you see of him the more attractive you find him. I never used to understand his appeal, attraction-wise that is, but now that I've seen more of his films I'm really starting to get it. He's absolutely adorable here in George Cukor's 1938 Holiday, tumbling around like a circus spazz.

And I don't think I've ever seen Katherine Hepburn look more beautiful. Just stunning, and Cukor shoots her like a dream.

About 15 minutes in I realized the film wasn't hitting me at all like I was anticipating - I expected more of a rat-a-tat-tat rapid-fire sort of comedy, but it's a much more character-based piece, and by about halfway through I noticed I was just grinning ear to ear spending time with these folks. Delightful.

It's one of those movies that remind you that in the right hands the most well-worn stories can be magical. How many times have we seen this story told? It follows every single trope of the romantic comedy as we've come to know it, and yet it never feels less than enchanting at any turn.
.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

As usual a very good post except for the last paragraph. Just how many romantic comedies were made prior to 1938?

I think this film was the basis for future romantic comedies which is why the story was magical and didn't seem worn.

Jason Adams said...

Sorry I should've been clearer, Sean - I get that the film was one of the ones to set the standard for the rom-coms films to come. But I'm seeing it after I've seen all the lesser ones that've walked in its footsteps so my personal experience watching it is a reminder of how those things can indeed add up to much more. That's what I meant, anyway.

Prospero said...

He's even more adorable in "Bringing Up Baby."

Anonymous said...

This film is so much better than the more known Hepburn/Grant comedies Bringing Up Baby or The Philadelphia Story.

Anonymous said...

This film is so much better than the more known Hepburn/Grant comedies Bringing Up Baby or The Philadelphia Story.