Wednesday, March 31, 2010

I Am Link

.
--- Dragon Dave - The next movie from one-time me-favorite David Fincher is going to be a remake of the Swedish hit The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo. I've been meaning to get out to see the original for a couple weeks now but haven't yet; I've heard alternately awesome and dismissive things about it. Some people have said it's ripe for a remake (and the lead is apparently an awesome part for a lady). I do not know. What I do know is my Fincher enthusiasm is a piddle-puddle of what it once was and that makes me sad.

--- Fishy Fish - MTV got some good quotes from Alex Aja about his Piranha 3D movie coming out in August. Choice bit that will make my boyfriend very excited:

"I understand why James Cameron in "Avatar" didn't want to make the 3-D gimmicky, and he was right. But we are making a piranha-attacking-spring-break movie, so we are going to go for the huge on-the-screen effects and fish attacking the audience."

Know your movie, Alex! Good job. This movie was close to my top five list that I wrote up yesterday for movies I'm excited about; I just need to see a trailer or something first. But Aja's a good film-maker and this material's ripe for some fun. He also talks about some of the fun scenes we can expect, and the supposedly insane amount of gore. Hooray!

--- FU3D - In the above linked interview with Aja he talks about why he thinks 3D conversion was the way for him to go with Piranha; well a lot of people who've already seen this weekend's Clash of the Titans in the same sort of converted 3D are up in arms about the process. We shall see. It stinks of charlatanism to me though, too.

--- Full Moon - Stacie Ponder went and made another delightful comic strip, this time for the 1976 moonbeastsploitation flick Track of the Moon Beast. Delight!

--- You Know What's Annoying? A giant countdown clock for V splashed over half the screen during Lost. That's what.

--- And finally, it's the poster for that movie I'm being forced to see, ugh. (via)

.

1 comment:

Dale said...

The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo was pretty good on the whole, but IMO the structure had a huge flaw that keeps it from being a great movie. You know how crime/mystery fiction usually reveals what happened, bit by bit, on the way to or even during the climax? Here we get the climax while only knowing about half of what went on, and then it seems like it's ending... Then it spends another half-hour or so just wrapping up and expositioning the remaining pieces of the puzzle. The ending went on longer than the one in The Return Of The King.

You're right about the lead being an awesome part, though. I'm really interested in seeing who they cast and how they tackle the role.