Tuesday, March 09, 2010

Gratuitous Joe Anderson

.

If you'd have told me that a week after watching The Crazies the thing I'd be thinking about was the performance by a second-banana and not Timothy Olyphant in a police uniform, well I'd have thought you straight-up bonkers, I woulda. But here we are.

Over at Cinematical today there's a post in praise of Joe Anderson's performance in the George Romero remake, and I couldn't agree more. Right after I reviewed the film I gave Mr. Anderson a brief bout of photographic love, but never got around to actually writing anything about him. Well Joe is terrific in the film, taking a stock character and turning it into something special. Something surprisingly sympathetic. When he asks if he can just walk with them for awhile, it's the sort of touching sequence most horror films don't make the time for these days. Obviously that's due to the writer and director taking an open approach to what could've been worn-down genre material too, not just his performance, but Anderson definitely makes Deputy Clank (great name) much more than he could've been. As we go through the film with him and watch the situation take its toll, Anderson works the angles like a pro. It's sorta like how I felt about Jena Malone in The Ruins, a performance that I also like a lot, though I might've thought of that because Joe was in that movie too. Anyway, in honor of his work here, as well as him being so gosh-darn-pretty of course, here's a whole bunch of Joe to stare at.

.

8 comments:

Joe Reid said...

He was the only thing in Across the Universe I didn't hate. Well done.

J.D. said...

So underratedly hot.

Illust888 said...

Where was he when they were casting Lestat?!?

Branden said...

@Illust888 I was thinking the exact same thing. I want him as a vamp.

I thought that Joe was great in the movie. So hot!!!

***SPOILER***
Did you think he was actually crazy or pretending to be crazy at the end? I thought he was pretending.

Jason Adams said...

I really haven't figured it out either way, Branden, and I like that it's left a question mark. My theory is that he went slightly crazy from the extreme situation, but regular old-fashioned stressed / freaking-out crazy, not Crazy crazy with the disease.

Sara said...

I love his eyelash!! *___*

Unknown said...

Please, please, please... Movie people, let him play Kurt Cobain if Heavier Than Heaven ever makes it to the screen!!!

magicalbeck said...

I love Joe Anderson, going back to his role as Alistair in "Breaking Dawn, Part 2." He stood out to me. There's something so cool and interesting about him....besides the fact that he is absolutely beautiful!! I agree with the commenter who mentioned his playing Kurt Cobain. Who could be more perfect ? There is a real resemblance and tortured-artist vibe going on there!