Monday, February 15, 2010

My What Big Teeth You Have

.
The Red Riding trilogy, which aired in the UK last Fall and is playing in NYC and LA right now before spreading out across the country, this weekend I guess (it'll also be On Demand soon, they say) is every bit as good as everybody's been saying it is. In fact, it might be defeating me in writing a proper review, at least just yet. I finished it yesterday and it's consumed my thoughts since. It's one to mull over, that's for sure. It's one story - of the horrors that plague a community where the criminals and the police have become indistinguishable - told in three films, directed by three different directors. Not that there's a whole lot of stylistic difference between the three films - they play fine beside each other.

And the actors... the actors! Andrew Garfield, Sean Bean, Rebecca Hall, David Morrissey, Peter Mullan, Mark Addy, Cara Seymour... I could just keep going and going. Good grief they're awesome.

You can watch the trailer (and some clips) here. And
I took some screengrabs from it to show off the pretty a bit...


Y'all seek this one out when ya can. So very excellent.
.

4 comments:

whitney said...

The stills here look very retro. I just watched The House of the Devil this morning and it had that same, 1970s look to it. People are saying it should have been advertised as a lost fom-the-vault type thing. I love the look. It reminds me of everything I love about horror.

Simon said...

Which one is the dude from that British superhero show? Is it David Morrissey?

Otherwise, yay Andrew Garfield! I can't wait to see it!

R-Co said...

Have they released them as separate films? Or as one bigass long film? I really liked the first one, which might have set me up for disappointment, as I thought the second and third were only average...

Jason Adams said...

Simon, I don't know a Brit superhero show, sorry. And David Morrissey is best known for being the star of Basic Instinct 2, of course! ;-)

I do believe they've all got separate schedules, R-Co, but they play all in a row if you wanna sit there and watch them that way too. I'm not sure, I didn't go to the theater to see them, I used "other means." As for liking the first one the best, I've heard that from a couple of people, and ya can't go wrong with Andrew Garfield and Rebecca Hall, that's for sure. I actually liked them more as it went on (well really I think the 2nd part was my true favorite) but I really adore watching puzzles snap together, so perhaps since I know what answers there are now, I'll be able to appreciate them as separate entities a little better the next time I watch them.