Friday, February 05, 2010

"Are you telling me that my soul... is a chick-pea?"

.

I wasn't gonna post anything on Cold Souls because I didn't really have anything to say about it, and hello, distracted with the big lists this week. But I did think Paul Giamatti was pretty funny in it - the man knows his way around exasperation - and I figured I could throw a lil' love at the way he delivered the above line, which cracked my shit up.

What the movie needed was five parts less Eternal Sunshine ripping-off (I love me some Eternal Sunshine, y'all knows I do, and the whole Charlie-Kaufman-but-not-Charlie-Kaufman thing worked pretty well for me with Stranger Than Fiction, a film I find underrated, but here it was just too much - a flirty young lab assistant working a brain-scan machine that looks like it could've been in Lacuna Inc.'s backroom? Really, movie?) and about thirty parts more Emily Watson, because you can never have too much Emily Watson, and she was wasted here, and that's a sin I can not forgive.


Alright I guess I did have a little to say.
.

2 comments:

mads said...

i looooved emily in this. really!
i even made a "the moment i fell for"-gif for her! here:
http://makeagif.com/i/EH0ByT

Jason Adams said...

Ha! That's awesome, mads!

I did really love that moment, she was great. But of course she was great! She's always great. Which is why she shoulda had more to do. I just kept sitting there wanting her to be on-screen whenever she wasn't. Course maybe that's more the fault of my obsession with her and less the film's fault. But if the other stuff had been as compelling as she always is I don't think that woulda been the case.