Wednesday, December 09, 2009

Julie & Julia in 150 Words or Less

.
Nora Ephron is such a turd, isn't she? I mean, directorially speaking. Directorially? Is that a word? See? I'm limited to 150 words here yet I'm wasting them on this. That tells you all I have to say about this movie. Even Amy Adams' Herculean efforts of adorableness could not make her character resemble anyone I would ever want to know. EVER. I was hoping the lobsters would get her. Meryl was delightful of course. She's Meryl. She's always delightful. But here's a news-flash for Miss Ephron: I live in Long Island City. It is not 1993 Bosnia. It's a nice place! One stop from Manhattan! And her apartment was huge! I want that apartment. Right upstairs from a pizza place sounds delicious.

Seriously: what a turd you are, Nora Ephron.
.

5 comments:

Joe Reid said...

I am shocked you didn't like this. SHOCKED.

Jason Adams said...

Hey now! Meryl was great and I really just watched it for her anyway, so in that respect I was satisfied. I almost fast-forwarded thru the rest but I started to get a sick thrill out of watching adorable lil' Amy Adams struggle to seem like anything other than a gorgon in that role. Impossible!

Owen said...

The thing is Nora Ephron seems pretty interesting and witty in interviews and what not but she has yet to be interesting, or even entertaining, in film format. What a shame.

Meryl Streep is fun as usual in Julie & Julia but the key word is.. usual. I'm not surprised that's she's "good" and she doesn't really do anything particularly amazing. Perhaps Meryl Streep is just too good for her own good. I guess I just expected more from her.

Prospero said...

Yes, directorially is a word, even if spell-check doesn't recognize it...

RDaggle said...

I don't want to hate on Meryl Streep exactly BUT ...

seeing all these commercials for that new movie with Alec Baldwin made me realize that she started out with the potential to become a significant and interesting actress, and instead has become just a movie star.

Baldwin, oppositely, started out as a pretty-boy soap opera actor and has grown into a peculiar and amazing talent.

I mean, he has played Stanley Kowalski AND Macbeth on the NY stage, among other demanding parts.

Ms. Streep not so much.