Monday, November 23, 2009

Quotes of the Day

.
I'm mashing together two different bits into one post because I can. Deal with it! First up, in an interview with Werner Herzog at AICN, Herzie's asked (yes I called him "Herzie") about something Nic Cage said recently, that they ought to do a sequel to their Bad Lieutenant: Port of Call New Orleans that follows Val Kilmer's character and call it Badder Lieutenant. Herzog just laughs and says this:

"As usual, I have a home invasion of burglars of five, six, or seven other feature films that are pushing me, so no. I haven’t made AGUIRRE 2, 3, 4, and 5 either, so I wouldn’t completely exclude it, but at the moment I’m really headed for other things."

Who else but Werner Herzog would categorize his artistic impulse as a home invasion and his films as burglars? And I might just spend the rest of the day picturing what Aguirre would look like as a big budget franchise with multiple sequels.

And that poster image there at the top is via this gallery at AICN of fan-made posters for the movie which y'all oughta check out; there are some great ones in there.

And secondly! Listen, I flirt with a deep-seated hatred of the Twilight franchise myself, based pretty much entirely off of Stephanie Meyers' Mormonism, but even though a good deal of the massive amount of money the second film made this weekend might find its way into that monstrous religion's coffers I can't help but find a great deal of humor at watching the Dark Knight fan-boys splutter and rant and rave about their precious pathetic box-office records being beaten by - gasp! - a bunch of tween girls! Not girls! The horror! The cooties!

All that isn't my second point at all but I felt the need to get it off my chest. No my second point is even if the film sucks I'm glad that director Chris Weitz got a successful fantasy flick out there after the failure of his Golden Compass film and is taking the opportunity to finally let off some steam about the latter's failure. Weitz says (via) the studio took Compass away from him and cut out 30 minutes, and that:

"It was an utter violation of my status as a director and the worst thing that has happened to me professionally. I was treated badly, it was almost like they never read the books. They seemed frightened of offending the right."

Weitz always seemed to get the books better than the final film did so I always wondered what sort of compromises were crammed down his throat. A shame. There's a great trilogy to be made out of Phillip Pullman's series and I guess we're never gonna get it. Boo.
.

2 comments:

Hugh Man said...

boo! is friggin right. I'd gladly see his dark materials over any Narnia movie and I love Narnia! AGGGH!

Drew said...

Wow, I hadnt heard about the studio doing that to the Director. I did hear though, that they Pullman wrote a screen play for them which they essentially just threw out, so Im not surprised.
I was SO disappointed with that movie...