Tuesday, November 10, 2009

I Need To Rewatch This Film

.
I haven't watched Hoop Dreams in a decade at least, but this passage from Roger Ebert's article commemorating the astonishing documentary's 15 year anniversary this week brought me to tears anew:

"''Do you all wonder sometimes how I am living?'' Arthur's mother, Sheila, asks the filmmakers at one point, turning directly to the camera. ''How my children survive, and how they're living? It's enough to really make people want to go out there and just lash out and hurt somebody.'' Yes, we've wondered. Her family is living on $268 a month in public aid; when Arthur turned 18, his $100 payment was cut off, although he was still in high school. Their gas and electricity had been turned off in the winter. The family was using a camp lantern for light.

During the course of the film Sheila's husband leaves and gets into trouble, she suffers chronic back pain, she loses a job and goes on welfare, Arthur can't meet the tuition and is dropped by St. Joseph's, the suburban high school that recruited him. After the school actually refuses him a copy of his transcript for not paying bills his family wouldn't have if St. Joseph's hadn't foraged in his neighborhood for a winning team, he transfers to the public Marshall High School, and leads them to the state finals. Take that, St.Joe's.

Then, in the film's most astonishing revelation, we see Sheila graduating as a nurse's assistant, with the top grades in her class. We didn't even know she was taking classes. Gene Siskel told me, "Arthur and William are applauded by hundreds or thousands of sports fans. When you see that nurses' graduation day ceremony, most of the folding chairs are empty. She's the one who deserves the standing ovation."

I get chills whenever I remember that scene and the indelible mark it's imprinted onto my brain. What an amazing, amazing work, that movie is. Any other fans of the film out there? I've gotta sit down and rewatch it soon.
.

1 comment:

Glenn said...

Not only would I probably agree about that being the best film of the '90s, but that graduation scene... so beautiful and inspiring and amazing.