Friday, November 20, 2009

I Am Link

.
--- Chrome Dome - Is anybody out there reading Stephen King's new one Under the Dome? It completely slid past my radar until last week when I saw Janet Maslin's rave review in the NYT and I reeeally wanna be reading it right now but am forcing myself to work through at least a few books off the massive heap that's collected on my dresser before I go and buy a new one. Even though I want that one! That one now! It's always like this - I never get any old reading done because there's always something new and flashy to play with for a bit.

Anyway! As I'm sure you've seen elsewhere by now Steven Spielberg has picked up the rights for turning the book into a TV series. Cool and junk.

--- Clearing the Eyre - As long as we're talking books, here's a lil' factoid: somehow I graduated with a degree in English without ever flipping open a copy of Jane Eyre in my entire life. So there's that. Higher education works! I've never even seen a film version. But I will have seen a film version once this one is out: DH reports that Michael Fassbender has signed on to play "Rochester" opposite Tim Burton's Alice (aka Mia Wasikowska) in an adaptation of Charlotte Bronte's classic. And as I've made clear as of late, I'm rather fond of Michael Fassbender. Rather fond indeed. Swoon.

--- The Darkest Knight - If today is a day that ends in "day" then it is a good day to look at gratuitous shots of Christian Bale playing Patrick Bateman, yes? Yes.

--- Best Boo - Also over at Billy Loves Stu is a run-down of Pax's favorite horror films of the year 2009 via their posters. In a galaxy far far away when I finally get around to even starting to think about my Best of '09 list you will see many of these movies represented, at least in the Horror categories. Mostly* good stuff! (*mostly refers to Pax's love for Grace, which we disagree upon; that movie just did not work for me.)

--- Bare Your Claus - Comic genius Mike White is writing a script called Santa Wars, which is based off of a segment from NPR's This American Life. The story's about "rival factions that developed within a union of professional Santa Clauses who became arch enemies during a Santa Claus civil war." So basically Bad Santas.

--- And finally, go wish Final Girl a happy 1000th post! Thank her one thousand times! She deserves to be slapped raw with high fives, dammit!
.

10 comments:

J.D. said...

Wait, someone else is allowed to post pictures of Bale in AP besides you? Gasp!

Stacie Ponder said...

I didn't like Grace much either. Let's make a club!

Mike said...

"As long as we're talking books, here's a lil' factoid: somehow I graduated with a degree in English without ever flipping open a copy of Jane Eyre in my entire life."

That's like saying, "I got my doctor degree without ever flipping open a medical book." I guess what I'm trying to say is: You don't have a degree in English. You have an expensive piece of paper.

Also, because you haven't read the book: They're not attractive, Jane and Rochester. That's part of the point. Charlotte Bronte herself was no looker, and wanted a romance for the ugly girls in the dancerie. (Cf. Villette, too.) That Jane and Rochester end up together in end (uh, spoiler alert) is supposed to be complicated, emotionally.

Now -- hie thee to the library. Earn that degree!

--signed, a college drop-out and Victorian literature autodidact

SamJ said...

I'm about 200 pages into King's book "Under the Dome". I'm lovin' it so far, but can't figure out how he's going to make it last another 800 pages. I'm hoping something really weird happens and makes it about something else. The concept's cool, but really, it boils down to a bunch of people locked in a really big room. How far can you take that? I

Pax Romano said...

Thanks for the shout out (hmmm, I notice you used Pat Bateman pissing from another post)...it's OK if you don't like Grace, to each his own.

At least we can agree on a certain Jake...

Anonymous said...

YOU DON'T LIKE GRACE???

Just kidding. I am just trying to figure out how no one has called out Stephen King for writing a novel that uses a plot device from the Simpsons Movie.

Aimee said...

Wait, there is another version of Jane Eyre being made? I thought Ellen Page was currently the title character in a new movie...

Jason Adams said...

thom - King started writing Under the Dome in the 70s and has been trying to finish it in fits and starts ever since; he joked about The Simpsons Movie in EW a couple weeks ago.

Aimee, I hadn't heard anything about the Ellen Page version and there isn't anything on her IMDb page. That doesn't mean it's not true, of course, it might just not be there yet.

Anonymous said...

Man...I should have read the interview...I set it aside to read later, and never got around to it. :)

Jay said...

Re; King. I saw him being interviewed in Toronto on Thursday night by none other than David Cronenberg. The evening was awesome.