Thursday, October 08, 2009

Trick2Treat

.
After two years of building it up I feel like a regular trollop that I haven't reviewed Michael Dougherty's horror-anthology flick Trick 'r Treat yet. I really really enjoyed it but it seems to be defeating my ability to write a coherent string of sentences as to why. It had everything I wanted it to - genuinely creepy moments surrounded by a big bunch of fun. The Pulp Fiction-y fractured time-line thing could've been exploited a little bit better - as it is it seems a little more gimmicky than it does seem necessary, but that's a minor complaint, and it did allow for a couple of good gags (I didn't expect Dylan Baker to be showing up at that point where he did... and yes, I am being vague on purpose).

Anyway, the film's a love letter to the entire holiday of Halloween, and it's a delight, and it's a bunch of bull-pucky that we all didn't get to watch it in a theater on Halloween night. Bull-pucky! What I most hope is that within a couple years it'll have caught on well enough that I can see somebody wearing the costume of the evil little trick-r-treater guy - does the character have a name? I can't find it if it does - because seeing one of them stroll down the street would be enough to fill me with glee (and perhaps to fill my pants with crap).

Anyway! Dougherty's thinking about sequels now. Via BD:

"“Yeah, I have to say that the excitement over the past few months of watching the film grow has started to jumpstart some ideas, and I know how the next one ends,” Dougherty revealed, saying he’s already brainstorming sequel ideas. “If this [DVD release] does become something, if it catches executives off-guard, it might [get sequels]. I would love to do them.”"

And I would love to watch them, Michael, but I don't know if I can deal with another two years of frustration again. I am so so weak. But yes, make more. Just mail them directly to me when they're done, okay? Thanks!
.

2 comments:

shaun said...

I read somewhere (IMDB comments, I think) that the little guy is named Sam and that he first appeared in a short animated film a few years ago.

I, too, loved this little gem. I've thought about it for the past two days since I watched it. I might have to go again this weekend! Like you said, just a love letter to Halloween!

Anonymous said...

I bought the Blu-Ray today... took about two hours to find it. But I have heard nothing but good stuff. Can't wait to watch this tonight.