Thursday, October 22, 2009

Note To Self:

.
I don't know if this will interest anyone else like it does me, but Doug Liman, director of the perfect film Go and then a Bourne movie and Mr & Mrs. Smith as well as the upcoming Fair Game about the Valerie Plame scandal, has a blog. I like Liman but haven't loved anything he's done since Go, so why do I care? Because his next flick after Fair Game is that movie about the Moon starring Jake Gyllenhaal. So he's talking that up some too, offering lil' nuggets of wisdom like this after attending a party full of NASA geeks watching that Moon explosion the other week:

"The people at the party did not disappoint, however. Jake Gyllenhaal, the star of my Moon movie, is better looking than any of us there, but he’d still fit right in. I think that we, as audiences, have accepted movies where better-looking people play the real person. For example, Julia Roberts is a lot prettier than Erin Brockovich. (Fair Game was one of these unusual situations where the real Valerie Plame was actually totally hot.) Jake isn’t playing the hardcore scientist of the movie; he’s the mastermind. He is using the hardcore scientist in a way, like I am using the physicist at Columbia to research my movie."

I'm sure the Columbia physicist appreciated that, Doug. Anyway, I'm posting this so I remember this blog exists so I can check back once production on the movie with Jake really starts up. Right now I'm just glad to see the movie's still happening; I hadn't heard anything in ages. Oh, and Doug also shares this fun story regarding Jake:

"So this weekend was the Chilmark Race at Martha’s Vineyard, where I was convinced by Jake Gyllenhaal, who also has a house on the Island, to compete in the front group who compete to do six-minute miles.

... in spite of being such a dilettante runner, I was pretty proud at first because I did manage to leave Jake in the dust at the beginning. Apparently, that had less to do with my running powers and more to do with the fact that someone ran into the back of his shoe and he ran right out of it. It actually went flying over us. I like to think of it as me making him eat my dust. But he did catch up and pass me. "

Yeah, nobody cares about this shit but me. Oh well. Oh and I found this via Gawker, who were chatting about Liman's new post where he admits that directors use the cover of their "process" to sleep on the set and fondle the PAs. Good times.
.

No comments: