Monday, October 19, 2009

My Initial Reaction...

... to the Coen Bros. new film A Serious Man
goes something like this:


But as usual with their flicks I felt a little overwhelmed the first time through, as if I'm gonna have to watch it a second time to fully appreciate, to savor, the whole product before I can possibly write a review of it. But let me just say this: the final couple of minutes of the film are astonishing. Poetry. Just amazing. This film have my favorite final shot in ages.
.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's not my intention to come off creepy, but did you see it at the Sunshine??

Jason Adams said...

Too late, creep!

Kidding. I saw it in Times Square. Did you think you saw me? Do I have a doppelganger roaming the streets?

Anonymous said...

HA! no no no!
I work @ the Sunshine & I was gunna go "OMGEEEEE small world..."
But yea!
I didn't know it was playing in Times Square.

Anonymous said...

I saw what you did at "A Serious Man"

But seriously, there were some local references that were completely pants-pissing priceless:

The Red Owl - a defunct grocery store chain

Ron Meshbesher - a real live actual local criminal attorney whose actual office address 1616 Park Ave is shown in the film.
http://www.meshbesher.com/locations

The Jolly Roger - I don't remember this motel, but there was a buffet called the Holly Troll.

The Whole - the place where the daughter is always going, still exists. It's a coffee house at the University of Minnesota. It was a folky place back then, but it's been alternative since the Eighties.

olins said...

The movie is very jewish centric and as I used to date a jewish girl I understood most if it. However I had to explain many things to my mother. That makes me wonder if the movie will find wide appeal.