Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Gratuitous Nicholas Hoult

.

I'd been wondering how long it would be until I did a post of this sort for Nicholas Hoult, the kid-actor from About A Boy who is no longer a kid but rather a strikingly handsome 19 year old. He did a photo-shoot a year or so ago that caught my attentions but I was so weirded out by it - I loved About A Boy! He's not supposed to grow up! And he's so pretty! - that I ignored it then. But I guess it took Tom Ford of all people to finally force my hand. Damn you, Tom Ford! Hoult's one of the fellas in A Single Man, Tom Ford directorial debut that wowed 'em at Cannes and is supposed to be Colin Firth's chance at Oscar gold, and there's an interview with Hoult in Out Magazine this month accompanied by a photo-shoot of him done by Ford, so... well, what the hell. He's growed up.


In the interview Nicholas had this to say about playing gay in A Simple Man:

"I never looked at it as being particularly gay. I looked at it as being intrigued by each other, and by the [psychological] connection they [meaning he and Colin Firth's character] had. When I did New Boy [a play he did where his character was gay], people asked if I was trying to say something about my own sexuality, but I wasn’t. It was just a character that interested me. In Skins, I had to kiss another actor, and that was awkward because we were both 17, and we were nervous. But even then, it wasn’t a massive deal.” Hoult pauses and smirks. “You know, you can play a murderer, as I did in [BBC detective show] Wallander, and no one asks if you’ve killed anyone. But if you play a gay character, people start questioning your sexuality.”"

I don't mean this as a knock at Hoult here but I think I'm about ready for the murderer comparison to be retired. I appreciated the sentiment the first several dozen times I read it but now I've heard it so many times it's just like, can't anybody think of anything slightly less horrific than murder to say kissing another dude is a better thing than? Anything? No?
.

14 comments:

Joe Reid said...

You need to Netflix Skins. You just do.

Glenn said...

See I took more offense to the "I never looked at it as being particularly gay." Umm.. kid, you're playing a gay person. Not psycho-analytical response needed.

J.D. said...

He's perfect so he can say whatever he wants.

John T said...

Umm, yeah, I still feel dirty for looking at him though-he shouldn't look that good.

Dame James said...

The way I look at it, I don't think it's Hoult (or any other actor offering the comparison) that's linking homosexuality and murder together. I think he's trying to comment on society's own hypocrisy and two-facedness about homosexuality. They don't mind that he's played a murderer, but once he plays gay (multiple times, at that) all the red flags are raised. Just my two sense, take it for what it's worth.

Glenn, you're totally right. That's such an actorly bullshit answer. He's making out with a dude, he's gay. No questions asked.

Dave said...

I agree about the murder comment, but while it seems fairly obvious that his character in 'A Single Man' is gay, it's never explicitly played with or stated, and there is room for a different interpretation of him. So I understand what he means when he says "I never looked at it as being particularly gay".

I also think I've finally got used to him being an attractive adult, instead of being weirded out by the image of him in 'About A Boy'. Thankfully.

Marshall1 said...

Maybe he's even a douche, but I wouldn't even care because when he speaks, I only hear how much he wants to be with me.....LOL

He's amazing in Skins (and very sexy as well). However, I always there's some kind of arrogance that comes with his attitude. Maybe yes, maybe not. Maybe he's the greatest guy/asshole in the world....but so beautiful....

Julia said...

Definitely getting some Ed Westwick/Chuck Bass vibes from the first few pictures.

Unknown said...

Definitely take the time to enjoy him in seasons 1-2 of Skins

Anonymous said...

Yes he is the most beautiful guy on the planet

Yes he was great in Skins 1-2 in fact in everything I've seen him in

Yes he is possibly arrogant as he didn't take time to reply to my letter sent to his agent with an 18th birthday card almost two years ago

Finally yes I can't wait for A Single Man to get released and now he's filming Clash of the Titans wow!

Not hating, just saying said...

Surely I'm in the minority here, but I don't find him the very least attractive.

And he doesn't strike me as "all grown up", considering he still has a 13-year-old's body.

This post and the following comments have a weird can't reproduce/must recruit vibe.

Anonymous said...

Gay or not, Nicholas Hoult is my kind of guy. One day, he would be one of the world's greatest actors.

Anonymous said...

you know, they NEVER ask a female actress if they've ever been 'paid for sex' in real life just because (IF and/or WHEN) the part they're portraying is a prostitute! NOR ask if they're a "slut" should they portray a character that's "promiscuous" or sleeps around a lot!

Jason Adams said...

Yes, as calling someone both of those things - being a prostitute or a slut - are considered insults, whereas calling someone gay IS NOT AN INSULT.