Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Quote of the Day

.
The premiere of Spike Jonze's Where the Wild Things Are was apparently held last night in Chicago, so real living human beings have now seen the film and I guess that means we can expect to hear more and more reactions over the next couple of weeks, but here's a bit from the first review I've seen, via AICN:

"... a stunning vision of childhood, made with great love and care from everyone involved. The film's opening scenes, as Max attacks his teenage sister's friends with snowballs from an igloo fort, involves you in a way that simultaneously builds character while conjuring up uncomfortable past feelings. Everyone remembers as a child the exact moment when a group game, full of fun and inventiveness, swiftly turns into panic, pain, and intense fear, and when one boy "playfully" smothers Max beneath his collapsed fort, you instantly understand the world that Jonze has fought so hard to suitably realize."

Just sixteen days! Ack!

I am curious if anyone thinks this film might have any Best Picture prospects. I've got enormous hopes pinned on this thing though and if it knocks it outta the park, and the trailers so far are leading me to believe he maybe did, it's easily gonna slide into my favorite films of the year. Easily. I know, I should wait to see the movie before thinking such thoughts but I can't help myself; I've slid into a mania over this film. But seriously, could it make the Academy's now-top-ten list? I'm just being crazy, right?

That image at the top is via a gallery at Vice magazine (via my pal Sean, who does not share my enthusiasm for this film, the scamp) of interpretations of Sendak's creatures by a massive bunch of comics folks, so check that out.
.

2 comments:

Joe Reid said...

I definitely think it's got Best Picture potential. If people love it and it makes a bunch of money? Definitely.

Marco G. said...

It doesn't seem like the Academy's sort of thing, but Spike Jonze can do no wrong and I'm beginning to feel like this could be his best film yet. WTWTA could be this year's "Dark Knight," am across the board well reviewed studio film that's gonna make a lot of money (I'm thinking it'll cross the $200 mil. mark). But what do I know? I know this is going to be an AMAZING film. That alone should put it in contention for best pic. No Country wasn't their type of film either.

Here's a question for the commenters: How much money will this film gross domestically?