Friday, September 11, 2009

6 Off My Head - My City On-Screen

.
Thinking on Breakfast at Tiffany's (which I just randomly quoted; why do I love Mag Wildwood so much?) got me thinking about how BaT was one of the movies that defined New York City to me as a kid. Made me wanna live here so doggedly. And today seems like a good choice to celebrate those movies, and this city, at least for a sec.

So here are the first six movies I thought of when thinking of movies that I saw when younger that made me wanna live here. Love you, New York.

Breakfast at Tiffany's (1961)
"I mean a girl just can't go to Sing Sing with a green face. "
Rosemary's Baby (1968)
"Awful things happen in every apartment house."
Big Business (1988)
"Is this how we dress for the office?
You look like a blood clot."
Gremlins 2: The New Batch (1990)
"It's just like I always say -
if you want to find something weird,
you have to go downtown."
Manhattan (1979)
"It's brown water! I'm paying 700 dollars a month,
I got rats with bongos and a, and a frog,
and I got brown water here."
Rear Window (1954)
"When two people love each other, they come together -
WHAM - like two taxis on Broadway."
------

What movie makes you think of New York?

.

6 comments:

Wayne B said...

West Side Story
Shortbus
American Psycho
Splash
Home Alone 2

Scott said...

Well I'd propose adding Metropolitan, Heights, and The Royal Tenenbaums to the list.

J.D. said...

Oh god, too many. Oddly enough The Nanny Diaries might be the strongest, at least of while I was watching the film.

Also: Gossip Girl.

stujkx said...

The French Connection, The Secret of My Success and The Warriors right off the bat.

Ms Scrappy said...

Taxi Driver, After Hours and Enchanted.

Robert said...

Requiem For A Dream was the first thing that came to my mind, unfortunately.