Thursday, August 20, 2009

Mine Eyes Have Seen The Glory Of The Coming Avatar

It's here! Did you feel the Earth shudder shake and moan a lil' bit ago? Well that was its womb spilling out the immaculate child of all of humanity's endeavors until now, all of the creativity ever birthed by man's fertile mind, rolled up into a ball, shat out, and shown off here in the trailer for Jimmy Cameron's Avatar. And I took snapshots.


Siggy's loading-dock suit from Aliens
makes an appearance! Sorta.


The Na'vi do not appear to have
what we humans refer to as "junk."


Hey it's the dude from Drag Me To Hell!
Hi dude from Drag Me To Hell!


So close, but still no answer to the "junk" question.
I'm sorry, but if I were putting my brain into an alien body,
I would check the junk. At some point. Don't pretend you wouldn't.


Ubiquitous Cameron-esque kick-ass lady alert!


Well I'm getting stoned for this shit then.


Well they must have some sort of junk
if they're wearing those loincloths. Hmm. Junk.


Okay, done. Is it possible to be both blown away and kinda disappointed all at once? I'm not wholly sold on the alien's design, it's gonna take some adjustment. Here and there I kinda felt inclined to roll my eyes. But then the glimpses of the world and creatures and the action scenes are... impressive. Very impressive. I kinda understand the somewhat muted enthusiasm that followed the screenings of footage at ComiCon now. I mean, there wasn't even a hint of Siggy anywhere! WTF?

What do y'all think?

.

.

5 comments:

homeslaughter said...

There is some Jarjar Binks going on here

Joe Reid said...

i KNEW i could count on you!

PIPER said...

I won't vote, but I'll say it looks a little Lucas-Like which is to say that I'm a little leery of it.

Glenn Dunks said...

See, when the blue avatar arrived in its first scene (I saw scenes from this at Avatar Day btw) I was a bit "wtf?" but I was amazed to discover that only a few minutes later I was already totally down with it. The way they interact is what makes it work.

Anonymous said...

Actually, people are comparing it to a animated film from last year called Delgo. I think Avatar has been in production to long to actually be trying to rip it off...but the look of the aliens and many scenes seem awfully similar.