Thursday, August 06, 2009

I'm So Easy (To Fall In Lust)

Before stumbling upon this post at Twitch, I knew nothing of this classic Belgian comic character called Lucky Luke. But I took one look at the poster for the upcoming film adaptation and off I went, scurrying for information:


See? Easy. Throw a good-looking fellow (although just from this poster I had no real idea how his face looked, so perhaps "good-assed fellow" is more appropriate here) in some snug blue jeans and cowboy-drag, swivel him around to his best angle, and voila! JA has a crush and will scout out info for no good reason other than he is led around by his penis at all most all times. Hooray for us all!

Anyway, Lucky Luke is like I said a classic Belgian comic. Via Wiki:

"Both a tribute to the mythic Old West and an affectionate parody, the comics were created by the Belgian artist Morris who drew Lucky Luke from 1946 until his death in 2001.

Luke, a wandering cowboy capable of drawing a gun faster than his shadow, fights crime and injustice... In the albums, Luke meets many factual Western figures like Calamity Jane, Billy the Kid, Judge Roy Bean and Jesse James's gang, and takes part in historical endeavors such as guarding of Wells Fargo stagecoaches, the Pony Express, the building of the first transcontinental telegraph, the Rush into the Unassigned Lands of Oklahoma, and a tour by French actress Sarah Bernhardt. Many books feature a one-page article offering a historical perspective on the events featured."

A pair of films were made back in the early 90s, as well as a TV series, but this new version seems to be - according to people who appear to know this sort of thing, i.e. not me at all - getting the property right this go-around. Here's the film's website (where there is a trailer). Playing the titular cowboy is French actor Jean Dujardin, who looks like this when in character:


And like this out of character:


Um... I would like to maybe see this movie please. And possibly some of the other movies he's done? Nothing on his IMDb page looks familiar to me (although I do think I maybe heard something about A Man and His Dog once? Maybe?). Anyway, Lucky Luke is out in France on October 21st, and presumably we will never ever have any opportunity to see it here in the States. Sigh.
.

2 comments:

Taffy said...

I just love Tintin, Asterix and Lucky Luke comics! This film probably won't come out in the US but I'm 100% sure it will play in Quebec and that would mean a Region 1 DVD release somwhere down the line so you could possibly order it online. Unfortunately, the chances of it having English subtitles isn't good but you never know.

Hugh Man said...

Marvel should make a movie out of The Rawhide Kid. SO stereotypical campiness, but I recommend the read.