Tuesday, August 04, 2009

Funny People in 150 Words or Less

.
Dear Judd Apatow,

Do you even HAVE an editor working on your films? I mean, Jesus. I have never seen an audience spring up so quickly once the camera started pulling back and we knew that's our cue that the film's done. Not even waiting for the first credit to start rolling - just 75% of the audience standing up as soon as they get the hint that OH MY GOD IT'S FINALLY OVER.

There was a really good movie inside of this one. It's curled up in a ball inside a thick crust of you-are-too-powerful-right-now-and-nobody-will-tell-you-no. Your kids? AXE THEM. I didn't pay 12 bucks to watch your daughter sing Cats for a minute-and-a-half, dude. And Aubrey Plaza? Adorable. But those scenes went nowhere.

Seriously, let me in your editing room, I will find a movie inside of this worth watching. Goddamn.

Thanks!
JA
.

2 comments:

Jwise said...

Agree about the length, but I actually wanted MORE Aubrey.

"Wanna go to a Wilco concert?"

Jason Adams said...

See, I'll agree that she was great... I liked her. It's just, as it was, her whole storyline really didn't add anything to the movie. Okay, so Seth Rogen's character needs a romance too, I guess? On top of the disease and Adam Sandler's dominating love-story and the roommates and the stand-up bits and on and on... it's just, with what they did give us of tSeth and Aubrey, it wasn't enough to justify it even being there. If it had been a different movie then yes, it could've given us more on Aubrey. If it had actually had a focus - is this Seth Rogen's movie? Is it Adam Sandler's? It is the entire West Coast's??? As it was I just don't think her storyline had to be there, the film would've moved along fine without it, so when I'm sitting there staring at this nearly THREE HOUR comedy I would've edited it out. Maybe along with the thousand cameos by semi-familiar comedian-faces. And that weird fucking Eminem scene.