Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Anatomy In A Scene - Remembering Tom McBride

I've been sitting on these pictures for ages but someone got here to MNPP today by searching for Tom McBride's name and that finally reminded me that I ought to get around to posting them. Tom McWho you ask, forgetting my love affair with the wheelchair-bound victim of Jason Voorhees' in Friday the 13th: Part 2:


That's McWho, you forgetful jackals! It was way back in February when he was all on my mind and I made mention of the documentary he starred in, Life and Death on the A-List, which detailed his slow death from AIDS back in 1995. How it worked was this: I made mention, and MNPP-reader Ross swooped in to the rescue by sending me a copy (the film's never gotten any sort of DVD release). You rock, Ross, I sing belatedly.

Anyhow, I screen-capped a whole bunch of goodies from the film way back when and then somehow never got around to posting it. There isn't nearly enough Tom McBride-y goodness to be found anymore, the internet's seriously lacking, so some of these things, the commercials (Wisk with Dana Delany!) and ads (Winston cigarettes!) that he was in back in the 80s, well you don't see them anywhere. Even though Tom was a very important piece of my young adult life. Mmhmm. Vivid memories... anyway, here are a bunch of screen-caps from the film. A couple of these have some NSFW nakedness in them so shield your delicate eyes if you must (although the film shows more, much more, ahem, but this blog is not quite that sorta blog, not quite, so my apologies pervs)...

.

15 comments:

Ross said...

Just thought I'd add for anyone else interested that I found it on VHS on Amazon (used, of course). I don't know if there are any copies still available, but you can buy a copy of it on DVD from Wringing Hands productions, although it's a bit pricey.

http://www.wringinghands.com/A-List.php

And wasn't Tom talking to Bette Davis on that bus while reading a muscle magazine? Now, how gay is that?! ;o)

Jason Adams said...

He was indeed talking to Bette Davis and I edited her out. She was killing my buzz. ;-)

And thanks for the info on the video!

Ross said...

Turn in your gay license immediately! ;o)

Jason Adams said...

I know! Monstrous. Montrous!

The real reason I edited her out was I couldn't remember what the shot was from, if it was from a movie or a TV commercial or what. Don't send lightning bolts down at me from heaven, Miss Bette!

Ross said...

I don't think lightning bolts are her style, but she might feed you a rat. ;o)

Scotty said...

I don't know if anyone will see this comment it's 2012. the odd thing is I am unable to sleep tonight and for some reason Tom skipped accross my mind and I decided to see if I could find anything about him and I found you. I met Tom in 1974. I had just turned 23 and he was 22. We became good friends, sharing beds when we were both fighting with our boyfriends. The last time I saw him was in 1979 in the airport in Orange County. We lost track of each other when he moved to NYC and I to San Francisco and then one day in 1998 in Dallas I walked into a gay book and video store and saw this pair of eyes staring at me from the cover of a VHS and I immediately knew it was Tom and that was how I found out he had died. He was a wonderful, warm, kind man who deserved more breaks than he got. I've never forgotten him and regret that we let time and distance stop us from keeping in touch. But we were young and Life moved very fast in the 1970's.

Jason Adams said...

Thank you so much for sharing that, Scotty!

Disarm said...

That's a moving story, thanks...

robinneilfletcher said...

Tom was a friend of my cousin Paul, who did a few years on Days of Our Lives in 1980 and was on Dynasty a few episodes maybe 1982 or 1983. I was Paul's caretaker until he died of AIDS Dec. 1986, and Tom was one of the few remaining people to show up to help me pack our old apt. Tom gave me my first cigarette. LOL. I did not know he was dead. I lost touch with him in maybe 1989 after our friend Timmy Murphy died of AIDS. So sad. I want to see this doc. Robyn S FLetcher

Anonymous said...

If Tom were alive, I would have 63 years
He would continue to be a handsome and sexy man
Many guys today do not use condoms because it has remedy
But AIDS will always be devastating and took the Tom of people
Boys use condoms ALWAYS!

seth1974 said...

rest in peace Tom

DEVILMAN said...

I am glad this man is still remembered. Is a shame hes gone but is really great to keep his name alive like this. He was the dream boyfriend for many of us.

James said...

I don't remember all the details, other than I met him at stage door of Fifth of July and we ended up at the Gaiety Theater together. He was gorgeous and sweet and I was young (22) and scared to death lol.. We spent about 90 minutes there, enjoying the show and each other. I never saw him again. But my thoughts of that moment live forever, tho they lay dormant for years.. Just thought of him and googled him and found this.. so many years gone by... and yet a memory stays alive

Tom Walden said...

Tom McBride was a sweetheart. I worked props on Friday 13th Part II. I did a quick stunt double for a shot of his wheelchair coming down off the porch in his death scene. Not the scene just after when the stunt man goes down a steep incline to the lake. He and I both mooned over Russell Todd. He said he'd tried to convince Russell that he was indeed gay. Like I said, a sweetheart and just an all around nice guy.

DEVILMAN said...

The coments of Tom Walden and James, love them. Seems this man was really special even if he was here for a brief moment. Like James said, memory stays alive and soo do Tom