Monday, July 20, 2009

(500) Days of Summer in 150 Words or Less

.
My advice would be to go into the film with lowered expectations. Mine were too high and it hindered my experience. I enjoyed it but expected to be swept up more than I ended up being. I liked what it was trying to do - there's a real accomplished sense of sickened loss, that queasy gut-punch feeling you have when a relationship implodes, that lingers through the film and it's a fine achievement, maintaining that - and it stuck the landing on more than one occasion - JGL's post-coital dance-number's one for the books - but the film felt a little long and the friends were way too sitcommy. And I love Zooey but I'm thinking Zooey might need to put this stock character of hers to rest. I still mostly appreciate it but this is Zooey 101 and she's been giving us Zooey 101 for ten years. Graduate course time!
.

1 comment:

movie scary said...

You just have to love it!!!!