Monday, June 01, 2009

Up In 150 Words Or Less

.

When you have a track record like Pixar's, expectations can be a real bitch. Up's first forty minutes or so live up to the hype - the much-touted "Karl and Ellie meet and grow old" sequence is some of the best stuff they've ever done - but some wind goes out of its sails in the second half. Charles Muntz and his dog-army weren't as powerful of villains as they should have been. It's still terrific, but it's no Wall*E, or Ratatouille, or The Incredibles. I'd put it on par with Monsters Inc. which is a right-fine par to be at, of course. Karl and Russell and Dug are classic characters already. I cried more with this one than I have any of the others. "Squirrel!"
.

3 comments:

J.D. said...

Okay, those are exactly my thoughts as well. Weird.

Joe Reid said...

Less than perfect? Oh, this won't help that Metacritic score at all. Not at all.

Jason Adams said...

I know, I really drug it through the gutter here, Joe. Don't kill yourself because of my unhinged cruelty, Pete Docter!

One thing I forgot to mention that I wil now! I saw it in 3D and it was the best experience I've ever had with 3D so far (besides a few of the kills in My Bloody Valentine, of course). It never made my eyes hurt which has been a problem in the past.