Tuesday, June 09, 2009

Shia Blessedly Not The Last Man

.
I was just wondering what was up with this movie yesterday. Weird! Anyway, I had pretty mixed feelings about Shia Lebeouf taking the lead role of Yorick in the film adaptation of Brian K. Vaughn's Y: The Last Man. I usually end up liking Shia despite myself whenever he's in something (I even snickered at some of his line readings in the vicious-face-slapping that was Michael Bay's Transformers), but I was dreading him taking this role all the same. So I'm pleased to read this via Superhero Hype:

"Almost two years ago, it was announced the D.J. Caruso would direct and Carl Ellsworth would write an adaptation of Brian K. Vaughn and Pia Guerra's Y: The Last Man.

Since then, Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen star Shia LaBeouf's name has come up numerous times as being in talks to play the lead role of Yorick Brown, the lone survivor of a plague that wipes out all males on the planet. The project would have reunited him with Caruso, who directed LaBeouf in Eagle Eye and Disturbia.

But now, LaBeouf tells Wizard magazine that Yorick is too similar to his "Transformers" role of Sam Witwicky.

"You take Sam and you put a monkey on his shoulder," said LaBeouf of Yorick's sidekick Ampersand. "I don't know if it's that big a differential. It seems like he's the ordinary guy in an extraordinary situation again.

He added, "I'm not willing to make that movie currently, and may be too old to play the role by the time it does come around.""

Well good fucking riddance and please do let the door hit you on your way out then. You go off and enjoy your Transformers legacy and leave this to the big boys.

Now they can cast my pick: Joseph Gordon Levitt! Mark my words he's gonna be big after (500) Days of Summer comes out. And he's a better actor than Shia. I do hope that Shia's abandonment doesn't send the adaptation spiraling off into nothingness.

Come on, Joe! Do it! Do it! You're in G.I.Joe for fuck's sake!
.

3 comments:

Bea said...

Oooh, yes! The world needs to realize how awesome Joseph Gordon-Levitt is. He knocked my on my ASS in "Manic," a movie I've seen half a dozen times and in "Mysterious Skin," a movie I've seen once and will never see again.

He's a cutie, too. And has posed for some, ahem, interesting pictures. Especially circa "Mysterious Skin." (I'm all class.)And if the film adaptation of "Y:The Last Man" sucks, I won't be responsible for my actions!

Hayden said...

I'm so excited to see his short with Julie Christie in New York, I Love You. Not because of him, of course.

Anyway, just FYI, I've resumed blogging after a long hiatus, so some readership/comments would be appreciated. Feels like I'm starting over at square one. :)

Judi said...

LOVE, love, love Joseph Gordon-Levitt. "I have the money! I have the power!" Woot! And I hope you're right about him getting more known and more roles after "50 Days of Summer." I can't wait to see that. Love Zooey too!