Monday, June 22, 2009

Eight Frames From Day of Wrath

.

Talk about a film that's lost none of its power. Sixty-five years after being made, set in the mid-1600s, in German, black-and-white, and as haunting and traumatic a film experience as you'll ever get. I just want to slap people in the face and force them to sit down and watch movies like this. The world would be such a better place of we did. If more people had the patience. It doesn't get much more rewarding.

I don't know why I'm turning a post about this film - Carl Theodor Dreyer's 1943 parable set amongst the 17th Century witch burnings - into a rant against the broader culture's indifference towards the cinematic history it represents. Maybe it was the few hours I spent over the weekend, trapped inside because of the rain, flipping through the cable channels growing increasingly horrified at what passes for entertainment today. Lord knows I worship at the altar of plenty of garbage but I like to have a side of real cinema as often as I can too and, well, when I watch something as beautiful and solemn as this film is I feel sad that more people don't seem to have any interest in experiencing such a thing. Their loss, my gain, whatever. See these movies, world!
.

No comments: